“Dosing” Skimmate

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a spare 10 gal I had as a frag tank (frag racks and urchins were a frustrating combo.). I’m not planning on adding any fish or anything to it, but I was wondering about adding skimmate from my DT to the frag tank every now and then. I’ve looked at a few threads mentioning this, but mixed feelings and they’re all older threads. Just curious if anyone has been doing this in a fishless system to get nutrients into the tank.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a spare 10 gal I had as a frag tank (frag racks and urchins were a frustrating combo.). I’m not planning on adding any fish or anything to it, but I was wondering about adding skimmate from my DT to the frag tank every now and then. I’ve looked at a few threads mentioning this, but mixed feelings and they’re all older threads. Just curious if anyone has been doing this in a fishless system to get nutrients into the tank.

Ummm it would work I guess but there are much better ways to go about that. Dosing NO3 and PO4 directly would be much more controlled. “Ghost feeding” the frag tank, although most corals would eat anyway. Just feed your frags and you’ll have left over food for nutrients.

OP
OP
L

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm it would work I guess but there are much better ways to go about that. Dosing NO3 and PO4 directly would be much more controlled. “Ghost feeding” the frag tank, although most corals would eat anyway. Just feed your frags and you’ll have left over food for nutrients.
Ghost feeding is definitely an option, but will result in extra detritus. I guess I could add a cuc to it to take care of that though. My goal was to keep this thing as low key as possible. There’s no sump, no skimmer, a power head, and an old aqueon hob filter I had sitting around.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost feeding is definitely an option, but will result in extra detritus. I guess I could add a cuc to it to take care of that though. My goal was to keep this thing as low key as possible. There’s no sump, no skimmer, a power head, and an old aqueon hob filter I had sitting around.

I have the same set up for a frag. Detritus isn’t a bad thing, in fact I would deem it as necessary for reef tank

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've heard it discussed, but don't know anyone who's done it long term.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would i be better to feed the corals. Also skimmate can develop hydrogen sulfide of it has been anoxic for long enough.

Southpawblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree. Just feed your frag tank or dose nitrates if that is your goal. I keep my frag system at around 10ppm nitrates and the Zoas seem to love it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back