“Established” what that word means to you.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I have two micro-nano tanks; one is 5 gallons and the other is 10 gallons. Lately, I haven’t had to do much (if anything) to my 10 gallon reef tank. I did a freshwater top off about a week ago, but, that’s all I’ve done in probably the last month.

It just turned 5 months old a few days ago and that got me thinking: at what ‘age’ did your tank stop making you crazy and become less effort? I’m curious what the consensus is.

*Worth Stating- I tested my water less than an hour ago and these are my stats:
Ph 8.4
Ammonia 0.0ppm
Nitrate 0.0ppm
Nitrite 0.0ppm
Salt 1.026

Unnatural

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Message for boost, because I’m actually really curious about this!
curious GIF

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think "established" exists on a spectrum; at 6 months in, your tank could be considered newly established, but at the one year mark it gets even more established, and 3 years later, even more. I think the tank simply becomes more established the more time goes by.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I have two micro-nano tanks; one is 5 gallons and the other is 10 gallons. Lately, I haven’t had to do much (if anything) to my 10 gallon reef tank. I did a freshwater top off about a week ago, but, that’s all I’ve done in probably the last month.

It just turned 5 months old a few days ago and that got me thinking: at what ‘age’ did your tank stop making you crazy and become less effort? I’m curious what the consensus is.

*Worth Stating- I tested my water less than an hour ago and these are my stats:
Ph 8.4
Ammonia 0.0ppm
Nitrate 0.0ppm
Nitrite 0.0ppm
Salt 1.026
Do you have corals? If so you probably should be testing Calcium and Magnesium once in a while too. To me maturity (just like in people) isn’t an age, but a state of being. My tank is a 125g and at 10 months I just had the president of our local reef club over and he said it was fully mature. But a few months ago things went a little sideways and it was because our calcium had bottomed out. Now we supplement a small amount of ATI 2part to keep parameters stable.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back