“EXPERIENCED REEFER” decisions???

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was that moment in time when you realized “Hey, that was a really good reefing decision”?

#experienced reefer #coming of age#newreefguruontheblock.

Mine was some years ago when I began to intentionally separating corals with their toxins and sweeper tentacles fighting for space. It WORKED!!! Results in photos.
Have you had that moment yet? Share!
1F655483-89B6-4ACB-8B29-6EBA5870C108.jpeg

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My moment was when I decided NOT to go coral or fish shopping on a whim. Leads to impulse purchases

Instead I RESEARCH what I'm interested in buying (things i have seen in past shopping trips), getting as much info as possible... THEN shop for it.

No more impulse buys that = ignorance that = failure

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My moment was when I decided NOT to go coral or fish shopping on a whim. Leads to impulse purchases

Instead I RESEARCH what I'm interested in buying (things i have seen in past shopping trips), getting as much info as possible... THEN shop for it.

No more impulse buys that = ignorance that = failure
So true! With so many good sources out there to double check our choices. You probably saved some buck$ as well. Nice move!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of experience but still look back at some of my really "smart" approaches and do a facepalm. Years of trying to keep phosphates and nitrate undetectable for example.

The decision in reefing for me that made everything easier fore though was realizing that "ideal" parameter levels are at best a guide, and at worst a foolish endeavor doing more harm than good. I still believe parameters and stability of parameters do matter, but i dont stress trying to reach some magic ideal number. I find where my tank seems happy and try to keep it stable.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few AHA moments in 22 years of reefing:
-Every move to a new tank and moving more towards stability of a larger volume of water and gradually more quality equipment. Quality equipment or at least mid-high quality ones made a huge difference in performance, and lifespan and avoiding disasters.
-lighting choices where after running 6 connected tanks. Where i realize growth with LEDs will never be as fast as with halides but tweaking ur lights correctly will work in giving u colors u can't get with halides. I run both on my Display and get to enjoy the best of both worlds.
- redundancy and backup equipment goes a long way protecting ur setup. 16 years of being a frequent traveller and being away up to 80 percent of the time and haven't had a crash, even when I relocated for 3 years and kept my tank running at home and remotely guided wife to run it.
-no panick moves when u have a mishap or corals not doing well, allowed me.to revert bad situations a few times and save most of my corals.
- no fancy dosing regimen or dosing or chasing numbers and I grew my frags to huge colonies in rather fast time.
-stability and patience these are cliche but the more I get towards them the more my setup improves.
- that fancy frag won't color pop as much when a colony so don't be so focused on pricy shining frags as u will enjoy the mature shape of a huge colony more even with the pop a frag had.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it was something that many consider a reefing fundamental: water changes.

I know, I know, it’s boring, but many issues can be addressed by water changes. Nutrients too high? Change some water. Parameters way off,? Change some water.

I know some people have really big tanks where substantial water changes aren’t feasible, but for many of us, it’s one of the best tools we have. It still amazes me how many posts I see where people are throwing all kinds of expensive stuff at their system to get the water right, when the cheapest most effective option is a water change.

Once I embraced that thinking, I spent a lot less money and had a lot more success!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of experience but still look back at some of my really "smart" approaches and do a facepalm. Years of trying to keep phosphates and nitrate undetectable for example.

The decision in reefing for me that made everything easier fore though was realizing that "ideal" parameter levels are at best a guide, and at worst a foolish endeavor doing more harm than good. I still believe parameters and stability of parameters do matter, but i dont stress trying to reach some magic ideal number. I find where my tank seems happy and try to keep it stable.
That’s some serious wisdom. I’ve often thought, if I swam all over the Great Barrier Reef with nothing but a test kit…. Alk, Cal, Mag oh and a really good Lobster Roll! And tested all over the reef, I’m confident that numbers would all over the place. I’m with you!

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aha moment was in about 1973 when I decided to put in a reverse undergravel filter. Best idea yet and it is still running. :)
You are the only person I know still using an under gravel filter. I stopped using them about 1980 and when plenums of the next decade,
But the biggest thing for me is when I went bare bottom.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few AHA moments in 22 years of reefing:
-Every move to a new tank and moving more towards stability of a larger volume of water and gradually more quality equipment. Quality equipment or at least mid-high quality ones made a huge difference in performance, and lifespan and avoiding disasters.
-lighting choices where after running 6 connected tanks. Where i realize growth with LEDs will never be as fast as with halides but tweaking ur lights correctly will work in giving u colors u can't get with halides. I run both on my Display and get to enjoy the best of both worlds.
- redundancy and backup equipment goes a long way protecting ur setup. 16 years of being a frequent traveller and being away up to 80 percent of the time and haven't had a crash, even when I relocated for 3 years and kept my tank running at home and remotely guided wife to run it.
-no panick moves when u have a mishap or corals not doing well, allowed me.to revert bad situations a few times and save most of my corals.
- no fancy dosing regimen or dosing or chasing numbers and I grew my frags to huge colonies in rather fast time.
-stability and patience these are cliche but the more I get towards them the more my setup improves.
- that fancy frag won't color pop as much when a colony so don't be so focused on pricy shining frags as u will enjoy the mature shape of a huge colony more even with the pop a frag had.
I literally read this twice! It’s a very “familiar “ story? Lol thanks for sharing all the details, I’m sure there are those reading it that haven’t quite experienced your time frame. And three cheers for helpful, supportive wives! They’re the best.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was when I realized how much better a sump is than HOB filters or canisters. And how nice it is to have equipment hidden. So much easier not running everything off just HOB and canister.
Definitely a solid moved to being an “Experienced Reefer” whether finances now or time in the hobby, many of us face that decision. And it’s a GOOD one!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best decision was getting back into the hobby after 25 years away.
Next best decision was to clean and fill my 32 year old tank and it held water.
Next was finding R2R and reading EVERYTHING I had missed in 25 yrs, there was soooo much to learn and relearn!!!

Oh so glad to be back in the deep end!!!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best decision was getting back into the hobby after 25 years away.
Next best decision was to clean and fill my 32 year old tank and it held water.
Next was finding R2R and reading EVERYTHING I had missed in 25 yrs, there was soooo much to learn and relearn!!!

Oh so glad to be back in the deep end!!!
This forum is a better place because your back.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few of my good reefing decisions:
  • Taking it slow
  • Continually learning
  • Adding a water mixing station
  • Volunteering at conventions and shows
  • Getting involved with Reef2Reef and the Reef2Reef community

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back