T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape looks great!
Thank you! I tried to blend the three types of rock so it was balanced.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have gone 100% KP Aquatics live rock.

I may add another 20lbs but I don't want to risk the die-off. I'm considering ordering 10lbs x 2 in separate weeks.

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for another update. My LFS extended their Cyber Week sale on frags so I loaded up on a bunch of $10 frags. I realize this isn’t the optimal time for coral however at $10/piece I’m willing to try it out.

Coralline is starting to grow (or recover?) on much of the rock. Almost all rock had brown algae last week that is now gone and either white/grey or coralline coming in.

I also had them run some ultra-low-range test kits. Nitrate is at 2ppm and phosphate .12.

A little bit of the uglies kicking in but I just added a significantly larger CUC. Lots more brown a few days ago that’s already clearing.

Oh and they had cyber week sales on fish and against some better judgment I added a small (2-3”) hippo and purple tang. These two are inseparable…they swim in unison and graze on the same rocks. Both eating like pigs. They came from the LFS’ display tank so while not “quarantined” I felt a bit more optimistic about their exposure.

In my earlier stint in the hobby I had a UV and I personally believe the benefits outweigh the cons, so that will be the “last” thing I add. Waiting on a 55W Lifegard that’s en route.

Will let everything settle a bit, do a small water change this weekend, and reevaluate around Christmas before adding anything else…unless the $10 frag sale keeps going in which case no promises!
IMG_3178.jpeg

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright one more post. Tank is 16 days running, but most of the rock is 1-2 months in my holding tank (and for the live rock, years cooking before that id imagine).

Made a few minor adjustments to rockscape to try and better accommodate flow x placement options.

Still running a subdued light schedule. LEDs top out around 50% and I’m doing 2 hours of the actinic T5 and 1 hour of my non actinic. I will likely leave LED where it is and gradually increase T5 duration and see what happens.

The brown algae mostly cleared. I did a 10g water change (so like, 7%) to help get some of the remaining debris and cleaned the glass.

Let’s see if I get a true ugly phase in addition to the brown that’s already cleared. I’m a big believer in live rock truly helping a tank startup. I also added the lifeguard UV as planned.

IMG_3242.jpeg

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been 10 days since my last update so here’s another journal log.

LFS frag sale kept going. Added a few more $10-$20 frags but also some more expensive pieces I.e hammers and torches that were buy 2 get 1.

Haven’t added any more fish but I’m eying a few at a LFS that quarantines that I’ll add after the holidays.

No major updates, surprises, challenges. No major uglies (bet I just jinxed it) however only issue is a lot of the macro algae from the KP Live Rock is growing back and I’ll likely start pulling some or up the CUC to keep it in check. More so because I’m worried it’s zapping too much of my nutrients (Phosphate reading at .05…it was .07 a week ago and .12 2 weeks ago…Nitrate barely detectable).

IMG_3373.jpeg

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, big update time. I said I would stock up after Christmas and it’s been a busy week.

Stocking wise, I wanted to get frags set up in all my intended grow out positions. I love watching the progress over time and wanted everything in place. This also gave me a excuse to try a few different shops:

1) Liveaquaria - FedEx was 36+ hours late on my shipment and I had some losses. I can’t blame LA here but not happy nonetheless.
2) Calikid Corals - picked some up in person at their NorCal location as well as had some auction wins shipped.
3) Tidal Gardens - really impressed with how well they shipped
4) High Tide Aquatics - picked up a few “frags” (they’re much more medium sized at frag prices, good deals) when I went to grab some fish.
5) SjReef - local shop that got me started with most of the best deals for the holidays I.e buy 2 get 1 on corals and a very generous selection of “cheap” frags.

Net net I don’t think I’ll order anything else via shipping. The quality, and value, of what I’m finding locally is just so much better and much lower odds of damage, losses, etc.

Speaking of fish, I am fully stocked for the time being. Current residents:
1) Hippo tang (2.5”)
2) Purple tang (2.5”)
3) Paired fancy Ocelaris clowns (2”)
4) Lubbock wrasse (3”)
5) Tomini tang (3”)
6) White tail bristletooth (the big boi of the tank at 6.5”)
7) Magnificant Foxface (4”)

I was very nervous putting the white tail and tomini together especially given the size difference but minimal squabbles so far.

Down the road I’d like to add a few more wrasses and maybe try a second pair of clowns. But I think that’s it.

Did a full parameter test before a 20% water change:
1) NO3 - this one is a bit tricky. API showed 0
haha but a Hanna checker showed 17 and Salifert showed what looked more like 5. Going to assume the truth is somewhere between Hanna and Salifert.
2) P03 - .02 … this one was as high as .07 when I first got up and running. I had a lot of macro in the DT from the live rock that I started pulling out (and tangs/fox are eating) so I’m hoping I can stabilize this closer to .05
3) Mag - 1350
4) Alk - 7.7
5) Calc - 450

I started a regimented dosing schedule and will keep testing weekly and adjust as needed. I’ve never been a big believer in overdoing water changes and it’s also not fun with this level of volume so I want to see if I can get to more of a 10% bi weekly rhythm.

No uglies but never say never. Had some bryopsis but I pulled what I could, upped my CUC and I think the foxface has been eating it. Minimal traces now. Coraline has been forming on rocks for weeks but now also appearing on glass. Pods are plentiful etc.

I did pull out a (I believe to be) parasitic isopod that luckily made his way into the overflow. Hopefully there aren’t more of these but I haven’t seen any.

These photos always look terrible. The camera does not like my tank lighting. I swear it looks better ha.

IMG_3562.jpeg IMG_3583.jpeg IMG_3586.jpeg IMG_3518.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next week will be 3 months since getting it up and running (5 months since I started cycling rock) and a lot has unfolded since my last post back on 12/30.

I’ve been adding a steady amount of coral and fish, and everything was going great until nutrients hit bottom and yup, dinos kicked in.

I had quite a bit of macro algae flourishing on the live rock and I decided to manually pull as much as I could. Between that and the tangs/foxface, you couldn’t find a trace of it. Around the same time, nitrates stayed low (2ppm) but phosphates hit 0 and I noticed my coraline growth stopped and the uglies kicked in.

It took me a few weeks to realize they were dinos and not cyano. Since then I’ve been dosing nutrients, vacuuming sand every other night (through filter sock, into sump), and trying a cocktail of different bacteria and phyto, and raised temps all the way up to 84 for the past few days. I don’t want to jinx anything but each day it looks slightly better, although I can’t seem to kick them completely yet but my nutrients are in a better place and it seems with consistent routine they’ll go (10ppm Nitrate, .06ppm Phos) and in the past 48 hours I’m starting to see new algae growth, tangs grazing on rocks etc so I’m hopeful.

Luckily the tank is doing more or less fine overall. Good coral growth for the most part (most AP’s encrusting, most of my euphelia has split) fish are happy, a few minor setbacks like montipora eating nudis doing a number and a rough 24 hour power outage but fingers crossed I’m winning the war on dinos.
IMG_3945.jpeg

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I owe everyone an update! Tank is officially at 6 months old and I’ve “beaten” the Dinos (don’t want to jinx it).

Current problems? A few flatworm on my torches but the wrasses seem to keep them in check. Will open a separate thread on that for advice.

I had a major rock collapse so I added about 30lbs more (hence the white rock) which also gave me a lot more room for coral.

I do think we tend to overreact about new tanks being too unstable. IMO some live rock and biodiversity through additions can get you going quickly. I don’t want to jinx anything but I’m feeling pretty good about the current state of affairs.

IMG_4541.jpeg

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I owe everyone an update! Tank is officially at 6 months old and I’ve “beaten” the Dinos (don’t want to jinx it).

Current problems? A few flatworm on my torches but the wrasses seem to keep them in check. Will open a separate thread on that for advice.

I had a major rock collapse so I added about 30lbs more (hence the white rock) which also gave me a lot more room for coral.

I do think we tend to overreact about new tanks being too unstable. IMO some live rock and biodiversity through additions can get you going quickly. I don’t want to jinx anything but I’m feeling pretty good about the current state of affairs.

IMG_4541.jpeg
Hi, your tank looks fantastic! Great job putting it together.

I need to say, this is probably the best way to go about setting up a new tank. The time you put into cooking the rock, and sourcing LR from different places really set you up for success. Imo tho, your tank has never been a "new tank" as far as stability is concerned. People who use dry rock are in a completely different place than you were when you started adding livestock.
Keep it up! That's a fantastic size tank, and I was really happy to see you get past the extra hole issue.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is looking great so far, good luck with it! Have you done a par map with the lights? I have a 6’ 125 gallon and ran the AL 61” hybrid with 3xHydra26’s. I wasn’t getting very good par and I couldn’t get much growth until I switched them out for the Reefi Uno2.0’s and now I’m getting much better growth at much higher par.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back