“Mated pair” Randall gobies are fighting? Why?

wyattp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I just added two Randall’s goby and a pistol shrimp to my 25 gallon (the gobies were sold together as a mated pair) yet they seem to fight eachother or chase eachother off when they get close to eachother.
I added them a few days ago and they still are doing this.

Is this normal or did Live Aquaria possibly lie about them being mated?

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where they bagged separateply? Individual shipping or a tank change can cause them to separate, it’s possible you just got unlucky. I guess you’ll just have to wait and see. Just keep an eye out and see if either of them get injured :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I just added two Randall’s goby and a pistol shrimp to my 25 gallon (the gobies were sold together as a mated pair) yet they seem to fight eachother or chase eachother off when they get close to eachother.
I added them a few days ago and they still are doing this.

Is this normal or did Live Aquaria possibly lie about them being mated?
It’s hard to say, if they’re both male they will fight but if they’re just two that huddled together in holding tanks as survival instincts then they could be mistaken as a “Bonded pair” and instead just be a “Coping together pair”

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see Saturday night at my house with my mated pair wife of 25 years. Stuff happens, maybe they are just trying to establish preferred areas in the tank. Give them some time or counseling.

OP
OP
W

wyattp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see Saturday night at my house with my mated pair wife of 25 years. Stuff happens, maybe they are just trying to establish preferred areas in the tank. Give them some time or counseling.
Lol yeah we will see

OP
OP
W

wyattp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to say, if they’re both male they will fight but if they’re just two that huddled together in holding tanks as survival instincts then they could be mistaken as a “Bonded pair” and instead just be a “Coping together pair”
I’m kinda confused about how to sex Randall’s gobies and can’t find much info on it, but they are both small juveniles. The first day they kinda huddled but now they’ve kinda found their own areas

OP
OP
W

wyattp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where they bagged separateply? Individual shipping or a tank change can cause them to separate, it’s possible you just got unlucky. I guess you’ll just have to wait and see. Just keep an eye out and see if either of them get injured :)
They were bagged separately. which I was confused about upon unboxing.

their fins seem a little torn, yet they both are acting pretty normal and healthy. They also seem like they’ve repaired over night a little which is weird

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back