“Parallel” species: Indian vs Pacific Oceans.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something interesting I’ve noticed are “parallel” species that look similar to each other but one is found mostly in the Indo-Pacific / Indian Ocean while the other is mostly found in the Western Pacific.

For example the Yellow Coris Wrasse is replaced by the Silver Belly in the Indian / Indo-Pacific (they overlap in Western Indonesia), the Yellow Pyramid is replaced by the Black Zoster in the Indian / Indo-Pacific, not sure about the Azure vs Yellowtail Damsel but according to FishBase the Azure isn’t found all the way up to the Philippines and Okinawa and is more Indo-Pacific / Indian Ocean.

The case of the pygmy angels where the Cherub is Atlantic, replaced by the Atlantic Flameback (Resplendent) further south, and with the Flameback in Africa / the Red Sea and Pacific Pygmy in the Western Pacific / maybe Indo-Pacific. The Desjardini vs the Pacific Sailfin.

I wonder if at one time they belonged to the same ancestral population and only diverged later on, and if that’s the case what led to such changes?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail anthias and regal yellow bellies

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool discussion. Following along

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, lots of examples. Dispar and ignatus anthias; Randall’s and resplendent too. Maybe even the two sailfin tangs?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back