“Responsible” fish sources and vendors

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For as much as I (we) love this hobby, when I hear, see, read about the underbelly of it and the cruelty our fishy friends go through I get sad because my uninformed money has probably supported it at some time.

Well I’d like to do it better this time around. I’m almost fully operational with my new tank and I have my first pair of clowns in QT (thank you Humblefish for all your threads!). They are sourced from sea and reef.

So, is there a list of vendors/retailers that sell responsibly raised/bred/sourced fish? I’d like to make sure I only buy from those places. As much as I’d love to give a beat up fish a nice home, I can’t support those operations, even if I’m a small fish in a big pond.

Thanks in advance

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For as much as I (we) love this hobby, when I hear, see, read about the underbelly of it and the cruelty our fishy friends go through I get sad because my uninformed money has probably supported it at some time.

Well I’d like to do it better this time around. I’m almost fully operational with my new tank and I have my first pair of clowns in QT (thank you Humblefish for all your threads!). They are sourced from sea and reef.

So, is there a list of vendors/retailers that sell responsibly raised/bred/sourced fish? I’d like to make sure I only buy from those places. As much as I’d love to give a beat up fish a nice home, I can’t support those operations, even if I’m a small fish in a big pond.

Thanks in advance
Just look for aquacultured. This means that the fish have been bred and raised in an aquarium. Most fish you can’t get aquacultured though and are only sourced from the ocean :(

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back