★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks Wally! Sometimes things just happen with fish very abruptly. Fish can be random and sudden.. Especially Anthias. Did you dip them in PraziPro to remove any flukes or worms?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks Wally! Sometimes things just happen with fish very abruptly. Fish can be random and sudden.. Especially Anthias. Did you dip them in PraziPro to remove any flukes or worms?
No I didn't do any Meds this time, since I had hope in their Health (since eating).
Remember the last Solar Wrasse died on me in QT since I decided to MED and do Copper Treatment (so I kind of got Shy of Meds, and wanted to lessen initial Shock, then treat as needed later).

I haven't had much luck with Anthias. The two Saddleback few weeks back (which were NOT yet eating), both Died within 48hrs. I have a feeling tomorrow the other two Anthias will also be dead. Willing to bet on it. Hope I lose the bet.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't do any Meds this time, since I had hope in their Health (since eating).
Remember the last Solar Wrasse died on me in QT since I decided to MED and do Copper Treatment (so I kind of got Shy of Meds, and wanted to lessen initial Shock, then treat as needed later).

I haven't had much luck with Anthias. The two Saddleback few weeks back (which were NOT yet eating), both Died within 48hrs. I have a feeling tomorrow the other two Anthias will also be dead. Willing to bet on it. Hope I lose the bet.

PraziPro might be the only med I'd use early (except with wrasse). So many fish have flukes and internal worms, even if they didn't initially they do once they're caught.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I did when I woke up is run to QT.

The two remaining Anthias are still Alive :) (I lose the BET :) Yipee....For now.)

I am tempted to do the PraziPro, but will hold off (since I would have to remove my ChemiPure Carbon [which is my established Mature Bio-Filtre).

Best not to change anything, or get into a (What if questioning thing).
If they are meant to make it, they will. Changes add risk when things are going well.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Really GOOD Day (Replacement Carberryi Athias) & A REALLY BAD DAY (Found my Tomini Tang Dead)

So since this Thread is getting Traction,
I WANT TO EXPLAIN MY POST "Writing Style"

I usually put a
DECSRIPTIVE Summary TITLE at the Top of my Posts so everyone get the Feel of the Topic.

I try to use Detailed / Label Photos. And I highlight with Colors, Fonts, and BOLD Text to make points stand out.

So my Day started good, and got Better.

Day started with Finding out my 2 Anthias were still alive, and I decided to go back to store to get repalcements.
I SETUP a Brand 10 Gal NEW QT just in case they had some.

Went to the Same Fish store I got my Anthias a couple of days ago. Found out they HAD a TENT Sale, and all Fish 20% off.

They had about 10 Carberrryi Anthias left, and a 5 Pack was still the promtion, Plus 20% off.
I took the 5 and it was the same Girl who sold me the Last one, and after my Sobbing and Crying that 3 Died first day, she spoke with Manager, and they gave me 2 of the 5 for Free.

I've been Reading about Anthias since I've never had them, and had a discussion with the LFS staff.
They keep their Salinity Low 1.018, and they suggested a 4 Hour Slow Drip. or Low Success Rate if introducing into a Standard 1.025 Reef Tank. AND WE DISCUSSED more things about BEST ACCLIMATIZATION.

I also read that Clyclop-Eeze Frozen was a great food for Small, picky eatter, especially for Anthias.
But it was discontinue year ago.

But I found something just a good in the Frozen food section of the store.

28483042248_fa1d4bd96d_n.jpg

I went home with my Replacement Anthias,

AND I DID a Really
Good and Proper Acclimatization of the New Athias.

40549610000_8cac1be5e3_c.jpg

-
Dripped High up (Breaks Surface water, to add Oxygen)
-
Countdown Timer (To keep my Timing good, since Kids, Wife constantly need my attention)
-
Dual Themometers (No Mistake about Anthias Baggie, and QT perfectly Matched)
-
Salinty of QT 1.018 (to Match LFS Water) ..... I will bring up Salinty of QT to DT over next few weeks slowly.
-
PraziPro Treatment (I mixed WELL into QT before Fish were release into Tank)

THE 10 Gal QT SEtup
- (No Carbon during Med treament)
- The Filter is loaded with Seachem Matrix and Seeded with Seachem Stability

- I also got a Ultra-Mini Power Head place on botom of Tank to keep Food Suspended and not settling on Bottom of QT.
- I added a few small Live Rocks from my DT Sump (bio and a nice Safe Home for Anthias)

And all 5 New Anthias are Doing Good So far in the Nice Cozy QT.

41634287234_4001e5e584_b.jpg

The other 2 Anthias are in my 30 Gallon QT and still Alive.

Both LOVE the CYCLOPOD Food (They go nuts)

AND then I went over to my New 110 Tank to feed the Fish.

Pure HORROR (SHOCK!!)
My Tomini Tang Was lying on the Bottom DEAD.
With my Large Hermit Crab Pecking on him.

He was my Favourite Fish, and I've had him for a few Years.

I have no idea why it happened. I took him out and Inspected. Nothing noticeble, or wrong.
My only suspicion is he was the First one to go into Tank after RockScaping. They other went in later after a Distraction. Maybe it was the Cryano Glue Hardner Spray I used. I didn't use much. Tiny Sprays, but I couldn't rinse the Rocks, since this Time I did the Scaping in my Tank.

I was Upset for a while, Sad Too, but eventually Accepted it, since Hey, after all this 6 Months of Rebuilding it's my only THING THAT went Really WRONG. (Madarin Survived and that Fat Head Sunburst Anthias too. Even the Copperband got ICH and I cured him :) )

I am holding off on Corals, which I was going to get today. Till Sunday, to see if more Fish Die.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about a tough loss. Hope the Anthias thrive. You will be running to the QT when you wake up again.
Thanks Caveman, I will replace the Tomini Tang eventually. It had a nice personality and the Striking Color Contrast was unique.

And YUP I did run to Both QT's upon waking.
2 Anthias Alive in QT #1, and All 5 Alive in QT #2.

Will be nice if all 7 Make it. My confidence is rising.

However I have a lingering Worry about the New Tank. Hope there isn't a disease in there that killed the Tomini. So far Everything ok.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tFIRST *NEW TANK SETUP * (Lighting PAR TEST)

I borrowed an Apogee Quatum Meter to Do The First Test Ever on my Tank & Lighting Systems.

This is with my Fixture at 11" above Water Line, and all 6x 54W T5's at 100%.

42328258502_76f3c6bda7_c.jpg

Very Even Lighting from FRONT to BACK, and LEFT across to RIGHT at AT same Depth.

Not bad for a Variety of SPS.

For the Rock Areas I'm basically 250-350 almost anywhere I can place Frags.

If I need more PARS I can always lower the Fixture.

My OLD 65 Gallon Tank (which had 2x250W MH and Pair of T5's) HAD these Readings.

40569502010_b15c81f74e_c.jpg

Similar, but new New Tank is Wider, Less Height, and has the EuroTrim around the Edges.

New Tank is certainly running on Lower Electricity Consumption, Less Heat. $Bulbs will be more$

Last edited:

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name is Wally.

Don't know how to start this Build Thread, since I have so much to share.
I'll do an intro, and see what folks are Interested in, and Expand, Elaborate, from there.

I've been enjoying the Reef Hobby for the last 20+ years. Started simple and kept going.

I'm an Electrical / IT Software Systems Engineer and this Hobby has drawn me for all the wonderful things you can do Technologically. I'm both passionate in DIY stuff, and the challenge of Reef Building.

This thread is about IN PROGRESSS REBUILT/UPGRADE That started Last October after a Basement Flood (not a tank flood but some in Wall Copper Plumbing). Nothing more perfect to convince Family and WIFE to start a new Tank. In return they got a nice Rec-Room Home Theatre, next to my office.

So in the thread I'll show some lead up to this last weekend (when I finally got my Rock Work Done). Perfect point at to start this Build Thread since Next will be more fish, and very shortly I'll start the Corals (which will be SPS ONLY).

All BUILD threads Start with a TANK....So here is my Custom Built Dream Tank. (arrived last year)

110 Gallons, 43 inches (not 46) Wide, 24" Deep, and 22" High. EuroTrim-Top-Trim, Starphire Glass (Front and Right), External Overflow. (Black Silicone, Except Clear on Right Front Corner)
25228597477_66a2690e70_z.jpg

Let's START with Today.

I just filmed my New Rock Setup. I've had these rocks for about 5 years, and after the Flood I put them in a Holding Tank to rid them of old residue, Algae Etc (IN A DARK TANK).

Here is the Tank in it's LOCATION (My Basement Home Office)

40469794061_117f82f114_b.jpg

Behind that Tank is my FISH ROOM, or Sump Room, or what I call my BLUE ROOM (Simple Name for Amazon Alexa Automation)

Another name I came up with is...

39083189940_95a6bc6f80_m.jpg

...Which is the Theme of this thread (I'll Explain more as I go on)

This room took me 3 Months to Build....It used to hold a 65 Gallon tank.

Here is a video of Part of the Build Stages.

I'll still doing some Final Wiring, and setting up Dosing for the SPS Tank.

The whole room is Controlled by an Simple Apex Jr (EB8's, PM2, VDM's, etc)

The Lighting Fixture for this Tank I build from Scratch, using Wood, Endcaps, Reflectors.....and it's connected to 4 HEP Ballasts (3 Dimmable).

39999042295_33fe0a3a7e_c.jpg

This time I spend hours planning and Days doing Super Neat Wiring, all hidden in walls, and Easy Acceess for maintenance.

SO THAT IS THE High Level INTRO.......Let's take a small step Back.

This is Just after the Renovation Started [NOV 2017] (Ripping out the 65 Gallon Tank)

39284287132_f45b2c52fc.jpg

And even Farther Back in Time...

This Photo show's my Past to Renovation of this room...THINGS didn't start this tidy.

24578603397_f778aeea5a_b.jpg

One more thing, that will be part of the New Build. (A complimentary DIY Controller)

34424778772_4c73bbcda9_z.jpg

Here is the back side with all the Features.
34586829825_ce3ae84dc6_c.jpg

It currently not hooked up, but was, and will be. (It does more than ADVANCED Dosing, it does my water changes, and more)

AND LAST but NOT Least....The DIY SUMP (with Built in Algae Scrubber)

Here is my old Design Spec.

42315006861_10a351a7e9_z.jpg

And Here is the First TEST run

Before I close this FIRST INTRO POST.

You may have or not have noticed, the SUMP room is a TWO SUMP ROOM.

Directly above that Sump room, and wired and Pumbled between two floors
is My 17 Year old 90 Gallon Kitchen Tank. (LPS Dominant).

27901389099_505560d1bf_o.jpg

That's it for my Intro. (kind of gives you and idea of where I've been and where I'm going)

BTW. I've Tried and Failed TWO TIMES with SPS (Long Story, but I found out a reason, ....so hoping things go well this time)

I'll share more, as I continue this Journey....Which starts in about week when I start bringing in a Few Test SPS Frags.....and if they do well, more SPS.

Amazing!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Better Day Today (for Anthias & DT Fish)

No Fish Died Today.

And I love the Carberryi Anthias.

There was a moment where All 5 Lined up like Pencils in a Package. Pretty Cool. (I've been trying to get a photo of that all fish lineup, but no luck)

27508022647_2dae5055a3_b.jpg

I guess I learned a lesson about NOT SKIMPING on Acclimatization.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Was lots of work, but very gratifying after done. Starting to FINALLY Enjoy the Less work part. At least till SPS Corals go in.

This weekend was probably the First Time (in 6 months) I Sat in my Office and Relaxed. (And actually watched the Fish amongst the Rocks).

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Good News (Black Capped Basslet in DT) Comes Out of Hiding.

Anthias still all alive and same for the Black Capped Basslet.

27520049087_982f19ecba_z.jpg

Today I'll be Tuning the Water Parameters (Setup the Ardino Custom Doser) to prepare for Return of SPS Corals.

First test will be a small PACMAN SPS Frag donated by the generosity and daring Tunurepro.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Carberryi Anthais: (1 Anthias dies QT#2 from the New FIVESOME, Pair Continues to Survive in QT#1)

I guess this is the way with Anthias. (Some make it, some don't)

Which SCARES me since I have to eventually do one more Transfer to DT (so I may loose more)

If I manage to keep 5 (one will change to Male, and I'd be Happy)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Miracle Just Happened (First time in Over 20 Years) Anthias Comes back from the Near DEAD

I didn't want to mention anything prematurely, and I'm still not out of the Woods Yet.

Never in my whole reefing years, has a fish that has gotten GRAVELY ill survived.

When the first Anthias died, a 2nd one was looking really weak.

I took out the Dead one and was going to put the dying one out of it's misery, but it wiggled away from my Tongs.

I expected it dead last night, but I peeked into QT#2, to my Greatest Surprise there were 4 Cute Anthias looking at me to be fed. (So I fed them, a extra Meal)

So I waited till this morning to check again. All 4 Anthias are doing good.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Carberryi Anthais: (1 Anthias dies QT#2 from the New FIVESOME, Pair Continues to Survive in QT#1)

I guess this is the way with Anthias. (Some make it, some don't)

Which SCARES me since I have to eventually do one more Transfer to DT (so I may loose more)

If I manage to keep 5 (one will change to Male, and I'd be Happy)

Hi Wally, how long did big Al’s have the anthias before you purchased them? My feelings are that most of the fist that die within a day or so from being added to qt do so for extrinsic reasons that are out of your control (= bad condition, internal parasites pathogens, collection methods and stress,etc). U

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Wally, how long did big Al’s have the anthias before you purchased them? My feelings are that most of the fist that die within a day or so from being added to qt do so for extrinsic reasons that are out of your control (= bad condition, internal parasites pathogens, collection methods and stress,etc). U
Hi Tenurepro, welcome to the NEW THREAD.

Employee said Anthias have been in store for a couple of weeks.

I used to think Longer in LFS is better, which is true from a longevity perspective, but I was told Longer in LFS means exposure to more pests, and fresh fish coming thru (possible disease exposure).

Anyways, I'm seeing a pattern in these Anthias. Again TODAY now two Anthias went into a slumber hiding so I started Questioning the Yo-YO health thing.
It may be the lighting on QT#2 (which is a very bright white Florescent tube). At night when I peeked yesterday they were all perky, and this morning when I turned on lights two secluded.

So I just switched over a Mini Blue LED light for more subdued lighting. That may help with the General Acclimatization.

And as Rakie mentioned, I'll hold off on bringing up Salinity till all are acting like the Anthias in QT #1 (which are SUPER Active). Lower Salinity aids in parasite resistance, eradication. (along with the PraziPro Treatment)

Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back