0.0 Nitrates

Salsa777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, first post in Club Zoa, so thanks in advance.

I have a few zoa/ play frags, one joe's crab nebula, a goochester paly, and a fire and ice, All three were doing well for the first 10 or so days they were in the tank, nitrates were at about a .8 for this time frame, and then I set up my refugium, and the nitrates dropped to 0.0, or undetectable with my red sea kit. since this they all have kinds closed up partially and not been looking so great.

my alk in 7.8-8.0
calcium is 470
mag 1300
tank in ~80F

tank is about 2 months old.

could the nitrate drop effect the polyps? I just add another fish and increased the feeding, and took out a lot of the cheato. I religiously change filter socks and have a Reef Octo skimmer that seems to work really well.

I have some other ideas of what may have happened, I think my Lawnmower blenny nipped the goochsters, the fire and ice has pox and the joes crab nebula is sensitive to the light. but the more I think about it I think one change causing the issue is more likely than three different things happening simultaneously.

any thoughts

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Salsa777

Salsa777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been treating the blue and red zoas with furan and they are starting to look so much better, and the goochster was nipped by the LMB, i looked very close at the polyp and it is missing tentacles on a couple heads, I think he didn't like it too much though because he hasn't been back, it is just tank it a bit to recover, and the crab nebula, I'm not sure it looks healthy but, it is only open about half the time, can't really figure it out.

zero point zero

That is what my test says, not sure what you mean by this comment. I understand test can be wrong and I'm sure it could be off a little bit, if that is what you're getting at, or are you saying that is the cause?

OP
OP
Salsa777

Salsa777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not running ULNS, I think it was just a product of a new system and a huge ball of cheato sucking all the nitrate out of the water. I just bought a tang, making my fish count 3 and I have increased feeding, plus harvested most of the cheato so I anticipate the nitrates creeping up this week.

I'm not a big fan of the pastel looking corals in ULNS.

OP
OP
Salsa777

Salsa777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salsa, I was just being silly, It's a scene from the movie Animal House where Dean Wormer is reading out grade point averages. I just saw the 0.0 and couldn't resist

Haha I love that movie, I get it now.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son" lol.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back