0 for possible 5 w/ wrasse QT

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you use general cure? That's just prazi plus metro. I think doing prazi during ttm gives you extreme control over dosage and the lowest exposure times possible. The 100% water changes really work in your favor.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do TTM at the least. Personally, I think copper is better as it eliminates velvet as well, but that's a personal choice.

As for PraziPro / general cure- They both have praziquantel. The difference is that General cure also has metronidazole in it. So if you are looking for whichever is "easier" on the fish, it would be PraziPro. I always treat with Prazi with new fish, it's never specifically caused issues for me. But, again it's your QT so your choice :)

Edit. I also don't freshwater dip unless I suspect flukes or a fish is suffering from velvet or brook. And if you do decide to dip, observe very carefully. I've also pulled wrasses early from a dip because they've reacted poorly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp, yes, PH no... Ive only had 1 fish react badly in the FW dip and that was the last wrasse I purchased. I've gotten all of them through Prazi treatments, the issue comes after the treatments. I had two only make it through the first prazi treatment and died, 2 made it through the entire QT and died. Not 100% sure if its the prazipro but i can't think of any other common factors. The only other thing I can think of was the stress from Prazi and the transfer 24 hrs later.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you use general cure? That's just prazi plus metro. I think doing prazi during ttm gives you extreme control over dosage and the lowest exposure times possible. The 100% water changes really work in your favor.
From the recommendation from Humblefish. He has a post discussing GC and he stated he would rather use GC over prazipro on wrasses and other Prazipro sensitive fish. I'm guessing due to the low dosage.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do TTM at the least. Personally, I think copper is better as it eliminates velvet as well, but that's a personal choice.

As for PraziPro / general cure- They both have praziquantel. The difference is that General cure also has metronidazole in it. So if you are looking for whichever is "easier" on the fish, it would be PraziPro. I always treat with Prazi with new fish, it's never specifically caused issues for me. But, again it's your QT so your choice :)

Edit. I also don't freshwater dip unless I suspect flukes or a fish is suffering from velvet or brook. And if you do decide to dip, observe very carefully. I've also pulled wrasses early from a dip because they've reacted poorly.
Don't you think Copper will stress (wrasses) out? If they can't handle Prazipro, how are they going to handle copper. Just a thought. I'm not a fan of copper, but I'm not opposed to using it either (that is what Angel is in now) i just want to do what's easier on the fish and on my wallet...lol How long do you think it will take velvet to show? He's been in QT for about 1.5 weeks with no issues, no symptoms. I definitely don't want to go through what you are going through right now either...my hat's off to you. I'm leaning towards not dipping, again no flashing, scratching, staying at the top of the water, no breathing heavy. He's swimming around and eating everything I put in the tank. I'm always open to advice, without you I would have lost Angel.

dbenenh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my wrasses I left them in QT for 2-3 weeks before any meds were put into the tank and got them eating good. I treated with Prazipro (2 rounds) then followed up with Cupramine for 30 days. I've done this on all my fish (Kole tang, clowns, firefish, twin spot goby, melanurus and china wrasse, and now blue jaw trigger) and everyone has made it out fine, I'm still pretty new at this but it seemed to work for me. I don't like TTM personally, I think it causes a lot of stress on the fish moving them around and me trying to catch them.

I increase the copper very slowly on all my fish. I usually take 5-6 days to get it to full strength.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wrasses will handle copper and prazi just fine. I can't say why you've lost so many wrasses during QT, but it's definitely the exception and not the rule. Every single wrasse isn't going to be prazi sensitive. I currently have 10 different species of wrasse in a copper system that I dose Prazi in once a week. All are eating and doing well.

If you are going to do TTM (which is my preference) then use prazi in conjunction. Be sure to add an extra airstone or a small powerhead during that 24 hour period.

If you are going to use copper, then be sure to bring the levels up slowly. Again, add extra aeration during the 24 hour period you have prazi in the tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alternative to using Prazipro/GC in order to deworm is to run the fish thru hypo for 5 days. Would be easy & cost effective to do whilst performing TTM. You would then slowly raise the SG back up to match your DT during the 2 week post TTM observation period.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alternative to using Prazipro/GC in order to deworm is to run the fish thru hypo for 5 days. Would be easy & cost effective to do whilst performing TTM. You would then slowly raise the SG back up to match your DT during the 2 week post TTM observation period.
Interesting... when do you start the hypo in conjuction with TTM? I'm assuming you would lower the salinity over the first 2 transfers (6 days), and keep them in hypo through the duration of the transfer.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you would lower the salinity over the first 2 transfers (6 days), and keep them in hypo through the duration of the transfer.

^^ This would work. If you're having trouble mixing fish & medications, think outside the box and find a non-chemical treatment method. ;)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^they've given good responses

How is Angel doing by the way? I was hoping you would update her thread soon?

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^they've given good responses

How is Angel doing by the way? I was hoping you would update her thread soon?
I will give an update soon. She is doing great. Her exposed spines on her dorsal fin dropped of and her fin is starting to grow back. 90% of the Lymphos (sp) has dropped off. She is actually getting her blueish tint back. I really appreciate all the advice you gave me and I thank you. I just wish the same success with your fish. I will do another update w/ pics this weekend.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give an update soon. She is doing great. Her exposed spines on her dorsal fin dropped of and her fin is starting to grow back. 90% of the Lymphos (sp) has dropped off. She is actually getting her blueish tint back. I really appreciate all the advice you gave me and I thank you. I just wish the same success with your fish. I will do another update w/ pics this weekend.

Good, I'm happy to hear she's doing well.

And thank you, I haven't actually lost anyone yet so hopefully things will turn around. The flame wrasse is even still hanging in there.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my wrasses I left them in QT for 2-3 weeks before any meds were put into the tank and got them eating good. I treated with Prazipro (2 rounds) then followed up with Cupramine for 30 days. I've done this on all my fish (Kole tang, clowns, firefish, twin spot goby, melanurus and china wrasse, and now blue jaw trigger) and everyone has made it out fine, I'm still pretty new at this but it seemed to work for me. I don't like TTM personally, I think it causes a lot of stress on the fish moving them around and me trying to catch them.

I increase the copper very slowly on all my fish. I usually take 5-6 days to get it to full strength.
This is how I would do it. This is ideal. Wrasse need to be established in qt for as long as possible BEFORE copper. Once established, they handle it very well, IME. But a few days or week maybe two may not cut it. The longer you wait the better.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it keep getting worse with me and wrasses. My solorensis has white dusty looking spots all over him. He was fine up today. This morning when I went to feed him, I noticed the tank water was a bit warm. I looked at the thermometer and it was reading 84 degrees and the heater was still on. So I unplugged the heater and got a fan to cool the water down. It about an hour to cool down. I observed him while I was feeding, no issues noted. He ate fine, no signs of scratching but you could just tell he was uncomfortable. I figured it was the temp swings. I had to leave for the day, when I returned home, he was out swimming, so I started to feed him, Bam, white dusty spots all over him...uggh...he's still eating and swimming, no signs of distress. I'm guessing it's Velvet. Here are a few pictures, not the greatest but I think you can see them.
493414c8884b7f2e12b69ed500660158.jpg
448867e00100cd0a700cb04b9594ba98.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, @ngoodermuth,@melypr1985,@4FordFamily IMG_3280.JPG

I agree with your assessment. That's velvet alright. Start with the freshwater dip, into the Rally, and sterilize the QT while he's soaking in each if you can. If not, it's not a huge deal just give him a clean slate. Start copper and get it up to therapeutic within 24 hours.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uggh!!! I don't have rally. I just did a 100% water change within the last 24 hrs. (I started TTM last night). Can I just start the copper? I only have coppersafe will that work

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to cut any corners, It's that I don't have any water to do another water change with and it's going to take a while to do it. I would rather get him in copper and go from there. I can do a water change and put him in a clean sterile tank tomorrow. How slow should I dose the copper, after all we are talking about a wrasse. Should I dose a qtr of the treatment, 1 ml tonight and wait 8 hrs, dose another ml, keep that cycle until theraputic?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back