0 nitrates, 3 month old tank

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 13.5 fluval evo running for about 3 months.

I started off battling high nitrates. I cut back on the feeding and I change 4 gallons of water every Sunday.

For the past 2 weeks I'm measuring 0 nitrates. I don't have a phosphate test at the moment.

Is this a bad thing? Should I try to get them measurable? If so, how?

It should be noted I only have 2 corals, GSP and a single mushroom.

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you feed?
Pellets, twice a day. Enough they'll eat in 1 minute. There's usually no leftover.

Frozen mysis 1-2 times a week.

Just got reef roids and have used that only once, I figured once a week.

I have a fluval ps2 skimmer and it's stopped producing gunk (bubbles aren't accumulating up the neck). I suspect because the water is too clean.

Current stocking is the 2 mentioned corals and 2 baby clownfish and clean up crew.

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing to much water at 1 time slow it down
I can switch to every other week.

Would 4 gallons every other week be ok? Or should I do less than that?

I can feed a little sloppy again, too.

Should i stagger my skimmer? I have smart plugs so I could schedule it on and off.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can switch to every other week.

Would 4 gallons every other week be ok? Or should I do less than that?

I can feed a little sloppy again, too.

Should i stagger my skimmer? I have smart plugs so I could schedule it on and off.
Don't do anything too fast. Your nitrates are 0 but what negative affects are happening? Dinos blooming? Corals look un healthy? If there is nothing bad happening I would slowly increase feeding and test weekly if you want to see it. My biggest advice is take it slow on a tank so new. It's still establishing itself and anything changed can have a big effect on 13gallons

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do anything too fast. Your nitrates are 0 but what negative affects are happening? Dinos blooming? Corals look un healthy? If there is nothing bad happening I would slowly increase feeding and test weekly if you want to see it. My biggest advice is take it slow on a tank so new. It's still establishing itself and anything changed can have a big effect on 13gallons
Nope, nothing bad happening.

My GSP doesn't show visible growth, but I've only had it 2 weeks.

They look fine.

So, how about this.. Feed a little extra and change 2 gallons a week?

That's a subtle change.

I'm really good at being patient. I just need to know the right thing to do.

I'm torn between 2 gallons a week, or 4 gallons every 2 weeks.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets, twice a day. Enough they'll eat in 1 minute. There's usually no leftover.

I have a fluval ps2 skimmer and it's stopped producing gunk (bubbles aren't accumulating up the neck). I suspect because the water is too clean.

Current stocking is the 2 mentioned corals and 2 baby clownfish and clean up crew.
Have you had anyone verify that your reading is correct, such as a LFS? What test kits are you using?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had them 2 weeks. Is that enough to notice growth?

Because if so, no growth.

Most corals will not grow noticeably within 2 weeks of a move, even in perfect conditions.

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had anyone verify that your reading is correct, such as a LFS? What test kits are you using?
No I haven't. I'm using api. However it does detect nitrates, as I've used it and it's detected high nitrates in the past. So if I don't have 0 it's really low. Which is good I guess.

What is a good nitrate test? The Hannah?

I don't want to over react. I'll probably just feed a little messier and see where things are at in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals will not grow noticeably within 2 weeks of a move, even in perfect conditions.
This is good to know, thank you. Also the GSP rock I got is pretty much completely filled. I'll probably need to touch it to another rock piece to notice any growth there.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can feed more if you'd like. The young clowns will benefit, especially if you are using adult food which is lower in macronutrients. I would highly recommend getting a quality phosphate test kit. It is good to keep track of this in a young tank.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't. I'm using api. However it does detect nitrates, as I've used it and it's detected high nitrates in the past. So if I don't have 0 it's really low. Which is good I guess.

What is a good nitrate test? The Hannah?

I don't want to over react. I'll probably just feed a little messier and see where things are at in a couple weeks.
RedSea is a good test kit for NO3. With API, I have seen 10ppm NO3 look like 0. With RedSea, the water is clear at 0ppm. Any color whatsoever means you have NO3.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back