ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine without the orange lens lol
1000088295.jpg
How cool is that - we can see the magnified zoa thru the flipper magnifier!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More color, less "pop". For pictures white is better, for color glow blue is better. In my opinion which is biased so you're not wrong!
Well none of us, including Joel, like either choice at the moment. I guess it comes down to how much he can tweak both and at least get a look he can enjoy.

Joel, I would bet there are quite a few R2R members who have your exact lights and have posted about getting better color. Maybe do a search if you haven’t already

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glue some stuff but usually not unless I'm attaching them sideways. Otherwise I try to wedge them between rocks.
I wish I had NOT glued everything when I first got my corals last Fall. I’ve had to rip them off so many times. I did not think ahead regarding my rockscape style (no nooks/cranies small enough to jam corals in). Also, should have kept some of the frag plug sticks attached.

Hard lesson.

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had NOT glued everything when I first got my corals last Fall. I’ve had to rip them off so many times. I did not think ahead regarding my rockscape style (no nooks/cranies small enough to jam corals in). Also, should have kept some of the frag plug sticks attached.

Hard lesson.
That's another reason I have been hesitant to glue I like being able to move thing but at the same time I don't have enough tight places to stick them in that will hold them.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take a video you can take stills from the video. Taking a focused picture of a moving fish is VERY difficult. They move in and out of the focus plane constantly and if you use auto focus it'll jump to the glass and rocks and floaters in the water column...
I am horrible at photos as u all know. But I do take videos and make stills out of them - it works enough so I can get 1-2 pics.

I also pic a main spot and sit down in front of tank and literally hit the button on iPhone 50 times not moving at all. I;ve gotten some interesting action shots- but again, maybe 1-2.

Luis, I’ve been researching for a video that shows photography just for aquariums- problem is, the good ones always have a fancy camera. I just need an iPhone or basic camera lesson. As soon as I find one, I will post here.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's another reason I have been hesitant to glue I like being able to move thing but at the same time I don't have enough tight places to stick them in that will hold them.
That was my problem- I guess I could have kept them longer on the frag racks - I have plenty. DOH

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading to the cardiologist then home to celebrate my wonderful hubby's birthday with him. Super busy day at work again today and I'm feeling so guilty about leaving my coworkers for the new job when they are already short handed...
Guiltiness means you care Amanda!
That's a good quality, seldom found in employees anymore.
Don't beat yourself up and realize/accept it's OK to do something for you and something to better your situation.

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guiltiness means you care Amanda!
That's a good quality, seldom found in employees anymore.
Don't beat yourself up and realize/accept it's OK to do something for you and something to better your situation.
Thank you I am trying to focus on the good things I'm gaining with the new job like 4 day work week if I want to after I'm trained and more money and a lot less driving and not the good things I'm losing like working with babies and kids and my amazing coworkers.

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started this hobby but I have been hearing stories of someone who made the best fish food in Miami and now he is back making it and I recently contacted him and he sent me 3 packages today. I will be testing it these days and I will let you know.
1000088652.jpg

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I am trying to focus on the good things I'm gaining with the new job like 4 day work week if I want to after I'm trained and more money and a lot less driving and not the good things I'm losing like working with babies and kids and my amazing coworkers.
Always look at the positive. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started this hobby but I have been hearing stories of someone who made the best fish food in Miami and now he is back making it and I recently contacted him and he sent me 3 packages today. I will be testing it these days and I will let you know.
1000088652.jpg
Yes Luis do tell when you know, especially if you find out if they'll ship I'm interested.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like frag racks they just look too unnatural to me.
Neither do I, but it’s a temporary solution as I get to see how they open up, their color and then place them after much thought.

I know a lot of reefers keep racks in the DT all the time, but mine only stay in long enough to place the corals. Of course, I could have gone longer then two weeks and I wouldn’t have had the “move them again syndrome”. I will def use them for future coral purchases; even if I have already planned out where they would go. It’s surprising how they end up looking sometimes vs. the online photo and you end up putting them somewhere completely different.

I must be like Patience, Young Frag Rack Grasshopper…

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allright, I know most of you won't care, but I am just so happy I need to talk about it.

So, Lilly my 12 yr old golden retriever recently lost her appetite last week. It was extremely abnormal for her, so I got her into the vet ASAP. It turns out, Lilly had a bunch of fluid in her abdomen. This was caused because her albumin levels were low. Albumin helps keep fluids where they are supposed to be in the body. Albumin is produced in the liver, so if there is low levels it could mean that the liver is failing. The vet told me that her liver was on the brink of failure, and that soon fluid would reach her lungs, which would drown her. He said that I could try to drain the fluid, but that it would be extremely expensive, and the fluid could come back in less than a week. Lilly also had diarrhea, which id also a sign of end-stage liver disease. He did give her some steroids to help with her appetite. He also said and reccomended that I put her down ASAP. I was devastated. Lilly is my everything. She was heavily abused in her first half of her life, being used solely for breeding purposes. I believe she had 6 liters of puppy's in her first seven years of life. My Aunt lived next to the house that Lilly was at, and she said she would constantly bark and cry because her water was frozen, she was never fed, and all she had was a small unheated shed. She would become so dehydrated and cold. Anyways, the former owner of Lilly was moving to Florida, and said that she needed her to find a forever home. I instantly drove the 4 hours to get her. She is now 12, and is living the best life possible. Today, I brought her back to the vet, as the vets thought she would get way worse over the weekend. Right when I took her inside, I weighed her, and she had lost six pounds. The vet did an ultra sound, and was so surprised to find all the fluid gone. She took a blood test, and was also very surprised because her albumin levels were back up to normal. This either means that the steroids are somehow helping with the issue, or that she has made a recovery somehow. It was always a guess that her liver was failing, as there is always a possibility that there is an infection/injury in the liver. Given her old age, the vet had no doubt that it was liver failure. ITS NOT! Her liver is working again! Anyways, I take her next week when the steroids are gone in her body, to see if it's the steroids that are helping her liver work. If it's not, then she is healthy as a horse! No cancer or anything! I am so sorry for writing so much, but I am just so happy!

IMG_2083.jpg

20240429_152339.jpg

Last edited:

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allright, I know most of you won't care, but I am just so happy I need to talk about it.

So, Lilly my 12 yr old golden retriever recently lost her appetite last week. It was extremely abnormal for her, so I got her into the vet ASAP. It turns out, Lilly had a bunch of fluid in her abdomen. This was caused because her albumin levels were low. Albumin helps keep fluids where they are supposed to be in the body. Albumin is produced in the liver, so if there is low levels it could mean that the liver is failing. The vet told me that her liver was on the brink of failure, and that soon fluid would reach her lungs, which would drown her. He said that I could try to drain the fluid, but that it would be extremely expensive, and the fluid could come back in less than a week. Lilly also had diarrhea, which id also a sign of end-stage liver disease. He did give her some steroids to help with her appetite. He also said and reccomended that I put her down ASAP. I was devastated. Lilly is my everything. She was heavily abused in her first half of her life, being used solely for breeding purposes. I believe she had 6 liters of puppy's in her first seven years of life. My Aunt lived next to the house that Lilly was at, and she said she would constantly bark and cry because her water was frozen, she was never fed, and all she had was a small unheated shed. She would become so dehydrated and cold. Anyways, the former owner of Lilly was moving to Florida, and said that she needed her to find a forever home. I instantly drove the 4 hours to get her. She is now 12, and is living the best life possible. Today, I brought her back to the vet, as the vets thought she would get way worse over the weekend. Right when I took her inside, I weighed her, and she had lost six pounds. The vet did an ultra sound, and was so surprised to find all the fluid gone. She took a blood test, and was also very surprised because her albumin levels were back up to normal. This either means that the steroids are somehow helping with the issue, or that she has made a recovery somehow. It was always a guess that her liver was failing, as there is always a possibility that there is an infection/injury in the liver. Given her old age, the vet had no doubt that it was liver failure. ITS NOT! Her liver is working again! Anyways, I take her next week when the steroids are gone I'm her body, to see if it's the steroids that are helping her liver worm. If it's not, then she is healthy as a horse! No cancer or anything! I am so sorry for writing so much, but I am just so happy!

IMG_2083.jpg

20240429_152339.jpg
Oh my gosh that is fantastic!!! We are I think all dog lovers here and so we do care! So exited for you!!!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, Lilly my 12 yr old golden retriever recently lost her appetite last week. It was extremely abnormal for her, so I got her into the vet ASAP. It turns out, Lilly had a bunch of fluid in her abdomen. This was caused because her albumin levels were low. Albumin helps keep fluids where they are supposed to be in the body. Albumin is produced in the liver, so if there is low levels it could mean that the liver is failing. The vet told me that her liver was on the brink of failure, and that soon fluid would reach her lungs, which would drown her. He said that I could try to drain the fluid, but that it would be extremely expensive, and the fluid could come back in less than a week. Lilly also had diarrhea, which id also a sign of end-stage liver disease. He did give her some steroids to help with her appetite. He also said and reccomended that I put her down ASAP. I was devastated. Lilly is my everything. She was heavily abused in her first half of her life, being used solely for breeding purposes. I believe she had 6 liters of puppy's in her first seven years of life. My Aunt lived next to the house that Lilly was at, and she said she would constantly bark and cry because her water was frozen, she was never fed, and all she had was a small unheated shed. She would become so dehydrated and cold. Anyways, the former owner of Lilly was moving to Florida, and said that she needed her to find a forever home. I instantly drove the 4 hours to get her. She is now 12, and is living the best life possible. Today, I brought her back to the vet, as the vets thought she would get way worse over the weekend. Right when I took her inside, I weighed her, and she had lost six pounds. The vet did an ultra sound, and was so surprised to find all the fluid gone. She took a blood test, and was also very surprised because her albumin levels were back up to normal. This either means that the steroids are somehow helping with the issue, or that she has made a recovery somehow. It was always a guess that her liver was failing, as there is always a possibility that there is an infection/injury in the liver. Given her old age, the vet had no doubt that it was liver failure. ITS NOT! Her liver is working again! Anyways, I take her next week when the steroids are gone I'm her body, to see if it's the steroids that are helping her liver worm. If it's not, then she is healthy as a horse! No cancer or anything! I am so sorry for writing so much, but I am just so happy!

IMG_2083.jpg

20240429_152339.jpg
Great news, so happy for you. At that age it usually goes the other way. Lilly has such a sweet face!

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2083.jpg

20240429_152339.jpg
So happy for you Walker and for Lilly, she is beautiful

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2083.jpg

20240429_152339.jpg
Best news I've heard all day!!!
And we're all huge dog lovers here.
I'm so happy for you and Lily Walker, great news!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back