00W's AIO Smorgasbord

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is coming today Kev, Now I have to see if it works for me with the return pump I have or if I should change it although I think it should work, do you maintain the Coralife return pump?
Yes, I still have the original pump but I bought a replacement ( same pump) about a year and a half ago as a backup just in case the original failed, it’s still in the box. The uv is pretty easy to install and thats coming from someone who isn’t handy. Just cut the tubing to the right length.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning y'all!
Happy taco Tuesday!
tony-gwynn.jpg
I brought chicken soft tacos and pintos and cheese for lunch today! Wasn’t even thinking it was Tuesday because I was off yesterday.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are my friend, ready for work today?
Tuesday is his Sunday he spends the day goofing off since all the tank maintenance was done yesterday.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I still have the original pump but I bought a replacement ( same pump) about a year and a half ago as a backup just in case the original failed, it’s still in the box. The uv is pretty easy to install and thats coming from someone who isn’t handy. Just cut the tubing to the right length.
hmmm. I have a question/concern here and want to share my thoughts...Are you installing this UV on the same line using the same pump that returns water to the tank? If so don't...I will explain later after you tell me how your doing it...
opps coffee is not working yet, I thought Kevgib67 was installing UV but I was wrong so my comment is to @luis angel ....

luis angel

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm. I have a question/concern here and want to share my thoughts...Are you installing this UV on the same line using the same pump that returns water to the tank? If so don't...I will explain later after you tell me how your doing it...
opps coffee is not working yet, I thought Kevgib67 was installing UV but I was wrong so my comment is to @luis angel ....
From what I understand it is on the same line as the return pump, I think it must be because of the space in the chambers because I don't know how I could put another return pump unless it is external, but on this topic I'm also a newbie, that's why I asked @kevgib67 who has a tank just like mine.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yippe.. my hanna checker for nitrate is here....I so thing the red sea kit chems are not working kit is old....Been dosing nopox for over a week. can't wait to see ####s....once this bottle is done tank will be on vinegar/vodka/rodi diy formular. I am so done with alot of reactors for stuff...to much cleaning and time consuming and mess. Only have the spinning small bio ball reactor, and gas exchange tower that I built, now and when needed gfo reactor.

Last edited:

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@luis angel ..ok if you have space restrictions and can't use a second pump I get it. Tank size really has no impact on this, it is about water flow speed.
Here is what I have learned and have set up in my sump on the 300.
I have a dedicated pump for my UV, since I want to be able to control the water speed through the UV without effecting the return rate of water to the tank. Most UV provide a rate chart of what your are tying to achieve with the UV. Speed matters for example are you using it to control algae etc or are you using it to control and minimize health pests to your fish ? Both are achieved by different dwell times in the UV. (I will stop at that as it can go down a rabbit hole, just wanted to keep it simple right now)
So if your return pump to the tank has to be faster or slower then the parameter's of the UV flow rate, the UV is not doing much.
Also, having the UV on its own pump allows you to say one week if you have alot of green water you can adjust UV speed to deal with it and then adjust back to deal with parasites,,,
I also do not have my UV returning water to the tank, I have it taking water from the sumps last chamber and returning it to the last chamber. So when I shut off my return pump to the tank for cleaning or feeding, the uv pump and uv are working still, just in a recirculating mode and I do not run the risk of burning out the UV due to lack of water through it. Having my UV pump pull water and return water to the last chamber allows my return pump to the tank to deliver the UV'ed water without me having to have a pump on the UV that can handle pushing water 5 feet to the tank..so a smaller pump for the UV
In your case you could pull water from mid sump and return to same chamber so that it is recirculating and you do not run the UV without water.
Also for cleaning, having two pumps allow you to clean them independently and when you have to do Maintenace on the UV it does not stop water to the tank.

I hope this make you think...preparing for the future is one thing I learned about this hobby..simple is better...along with easier.

I am here for you...

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand it is on the same line as the return pump, I think it must be because of the space in the chambers because I don't know how I could put another return pump unless it is external, but on this topic I'm also a newbie, that's why I asked @kevgib67 who has a tank just like mine.
The directions are clear and easy to understand. If you run into any issues let me know.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all! Hope everyone is doing well.
Geez, @Fishy Guy I was worried about you, it has been a long time. I thought you may have been serving time in a federal prison! I hope all is good.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, @Fishy Guy I was worried about you, it has been a long time. I thought you may have been serving time in a federal prison! I hope all is good.
hmmm now we know where he was....on a secret mission installing a tank in the prison?

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prison, not even jail ha. Sorry I disappeared for a while. Life just got really busy and I needed to step away for a bit.

I dealt with a cyano outbreak that took several weeks to get under control and now dealing with bryopsis. Just part of that first year of reefing I guess but definitely not as fun as when everything is going smoothly lol.

luis angel

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@luis angel ..ok if you have space restrictions and can't use a second pump I get it. Tank size really has no impact on this, it is about water flow speed.
Here is what I have learned and have set up in my sump on the 300.
I have a dedicated pump for my UV, since I want to be able to control the water speed through the UV without effecting the return rate of water to the tank. Most UV provide a rate chart of what your are tying to achieve with the UV. Speed matters for example are you using it to control algae etc or are you using it to control and minimize health pests to your fish ? Both are achieved by different dwell times in the UV. (I will stop at that as it can go down a rabbit hole, just wanted to keep it simple right now)
So if your return pump to the tank has to be faster or slower then the parameter's of the UV flow rate, the UV is not doing much.
Also, having the UV on its own pump allows you to say one week if you have alot of green water you can adjust UV speed to deal with it and then adjust back to deal with parasites,,,
I also do not have my UV returning water to the tank, I have it taking water from the sumps last chamber and returning it to the last chamber. So when I shut off my return pump to the tank for cleaning or feeding, the uv pump and uv are working still, just in a recirculating mode and I do not run the risk of burning out the UV due to lack of water through it. Having my UV pump pull water and return water to the last chamber allows my return pump to the tank to deliver the UV'ed water without me having to have a pump on the UV that can handle pushing water 5 feet to the tank..so a smaller pump for the UV
In your case you could pull water from mid sump and return to same chamber so that it is recirculating and you do not run the UV without water.
Also for cleaning, having two pumps allow you to clean them independently and when you have to do Maintenace on the UV it does not stop water to the tank.

I hope this make you think...preparing for the future is one thing I learned about this hobby..simple is better...along with easier.

I am here for you...
@1ocean Thank you very much for your advice, in reality everything you say is a great idea and with the points well explained, I would have to find some way to see if I could get a space because right now all the chambers are full, I have bioballs, filter in the middle chamber, skimmer, carbon bag, sponge and I think I have something else left but when I get home I will post a photo, but yes, as I say, what you are saying is very interesting about the flow for the different needs, thank you again

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back