1 & 2 polp frags... how delicate?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that alot of zoas/polys are sold as 1 or 2 polp frags. Are these more delicate than purchasing 7-10 polps? Do they need any special consideration because they are so small? They scare me.

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hate 1 polyp frags, i try and spend more to get the 3-4 polyp frags if possible

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that alot of zoas/polys are sold as 1 or 2 polp frags. Are these more delicate than purchasing 7-10 polps? Do they need any special consideration because they are so small? They scare me.

I agree it is scary buying one or two polyp frags. I personally like 4 or more just to be safe but i have had smaller ones with no problems and they were shipped!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the 4 plus, unless they are LE or high demand, and then you know that you have to be careful anyways

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is LE? Limited Edition? The ones I see for $25-$100/polp... so gets pretty $$ pretty quick. Is the hesitation noted above becuase it will take longer for them to grow more polps quickly or because they are more fragile?

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are fragged correctly, it doesn't matter if it's 1 or 10 polyps. Obviously you better your chances of success if there are more polyps, but the success of zoas mostly depends on the factors in your tank rather than the number of polyps. I have purchased many single-polyp frags and have had great success.

If you are buying them from another hobbyist, make sure you request that the frag is healed well enough to ship. If the frag isn't healed and the polyp comes unglued during transit, it's much more difficult and traumatic to re-glue a single polyp than multiple.

LeCorals81

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are fragged correctly, it doesn't matter if it's 1 or 10 polyps. Obviously you better your chances of success if there are more polyps, but the success of zoas mostly depends on the factors in your tank rather than the number of polyps. I have purchased many single-polyp frags and have had great success.

If you are buying them from another hobbyist, make sure you request that the frag is healed well enough to ship. If the frag isn't healed and the polyp comes unglued during transit, it's much more difficult and traumatic to re-glue a single polyp than multiple.

I agree. Single polyps take longer to reproduce IMO. My multi-polyp colonies grow new polyps almost every few days, but my single Red Hornet is still single.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had very limited succes with single polyps, I would rather get a frag plug with several on it, that have healed and started reproducing, the newly cut one polyp frags sitting in a hugh goop of super glue just turn me off, If you are a newbie, I would resit the temptation to buy the single or two polyp frags, just my 2 cents

subdrive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If buying 1-2 paly frag, make sure they look healed.
just my 2 cents.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 polyp frags if they are grown on the frag plug or budding. Prefer 2 polyp frags but that is difficult to find with some zoas...

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2 polyp frags are fine depending on what it is,I wont buy a frag of whammin watermelons that have one polyp on them,but Ill buy some stuff with one polyp.

Some stuff it to rare to cut 2+ polyps on...

kron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, it all depends on how the polyp was fragged.

-If the polyp was scrapped off the rock and has to be super glued directly to the plug, 3+ weeks.
-If the rock was cut and the polyp is still attached to the rock, 1 week.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%

Back