1" Black PVC Elbow Question

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, quick question from a plumbing noob.

I'm doing a coast to coast overflow (beananimal) with very dark colored glass (there's a brand name for it, can't remember, glass shop guy recommended it). Anyway, I got the overflow installed but I realized you would still be able to see white PVC through the glass.

So I ordererd some black 1" PVC elbows from MarineAndReef but they don't "taper" at one end like the normal PVC elbows I have do, so the don't slide into the bulkhead. What am I doing wrong here, and how do I fix it? Is there some kind of "insert" I need to join the two together?

Thanks in advance for the help!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white elbow is what is called a street elbow or 1" OD slip pipe size x 1" socket. The black one is a normal 1" socket x socket. You will need a short piece of 1" PVC pipe inserted into it to fit in the bulkhead. I would measure and cut the pipe just long enough it fills the socket and bulkhead so the butt up together and the white does not show. If it does a little black Krylon spray paint will hide it.

www.customaquatic.com carries a lot of black PVC but I don't see a street elbow in black other than thread by slip. Personally I much prefer threaded bulkheads myself and that is the elbows I used in mine.

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/subctg/~ctg=s_pf-pe-22/~pctg=s_pf/~pi=777/~srt=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, thanks guys. Makes sense now that I know the two terms. I think I'll just trim it up as suggested!

It's strange that black PVC street elbows don't come up when you search for aquarium pvc elbows, that seems like it would be the most common use for black elbows (in tank).

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the 1" thread by slip street elbow on the shelf at Home Depot next to the sprinkler heads.

If you are interested I have a Bulkhead Installation Tips sticky post on here somewhere, you might find some good pointers.

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the 1" thread by slip street elbow on the shelf at Home Depot next to the sprinkler heads.

If you are interested I have a Bulkhead Installation Tips sticky post on here somewhere, you might find some good pointers.

I've heard you can get black ones for use in sprinkler systems, but I had heard that those were for non-potable solutions only. Made me a little paranoid about putting it inside the tank.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are thinking of ABS sewer pipe. It was never intended for pressurized drinking water as it has thin walls for gravity situations so has not been though the testing and approval process. It does not mean it is not safe in an aquarium though. Lots of people use ABS for overflows but its usually in larger sizes like 1.5" and 2" or larger.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back