1 clown or 2?

Bigquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is time for my last finned livestock addition. I would like to add a clown, or maybe a pair. If I get one, it would be larger and more expensive. If I get two, they would be standard inexpensive baby clowns. Are they cool flying solo? Or do they really need a clown partner for optimal conditions? Would I be over stocking to add 2? Also, any recommendations for additional cuc? The only issue I currently have is green hair algae.

Current livestock is:
1 Yellow watchman goby
1 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Royal Gramma
1 Tiger Sand Conch
1 hermit
3 nessarius snails
8 corals, softies and lps
Is the goby ok with corals? I wanted to get one but my local aqurrium guy said they will nipnat corals.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 clowns always interact with each other. Mostly to assert dominance, but they do give attention to each other unlike my damsel. He is ignored by the clowns.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do look for a pair that plays well with eachother in the same tank clowns can be very nasty at times

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no clownfish expert, but I would most definitely opt for a small mated pair of Ocellaris. In my experience, a mated pair spends basically all of its time devoted to each other, and rarely interact with other inhabitants of the tank unless their territory is invaded. A single clownfish, on the other hand, will definitely explore on its own and will often consider the entire tank its territory. At least that's been my experience.

Adding a pair to a tank with already well-established fish, however, may cause their choice of a territory to be less than desirable (to you). With aggressive fish already in the tank, it would not be unusual to see them relegated to a back corner or a quiet spot behind your rockwork.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no clownfish expert, but I would most definitely opt for a small mated pair of Ocellaris. In my experience, a mated pair spends basically all of its time devoted to each other, and rarely interact with other inhabitants of the tank unless their territory is invaded. A single clownfish, on the other hand, will definitely explore on its own and will often consider the entire tank its territory. At least that's been my experience.

Adding a pair to a tank with already well-established fish, however, may cause their choice of a territory to be less than desirable (to you). With aggressive fish already in the tank, it would not be unusual to see them relegated to a back corner or a quiet spot behind your rockwork.

More good information. As usual it seems that mileage may vary depending on the individuality of each fish. My most aggressive fish is a Royal Gramma. My toughest fish is a small Lawnmower Blenny. Perhaps a clown is not the correct choice?

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want clownfish, I wouldn't count them out, jabberwock. Clownfish are generally pretty sturdy. I think careful introduction to the tank would go a long way. Maybe keeping the new fish in an acclimation box in the display for a week or so to get everybody well-introduced. That has worked well for me in the past.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want clownfish, I wouldn't count them out, jabberwock. Clownfish are generally pretty sturdy. I think careful introduction to the tank would go a long way. Maybe keeping the new fish in an acclimation box in the display for a week or so to get everybody well-introduced. That has worked well for me in the past.

I like that idea. I will check it out.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I really appreciate all the input. I was just about set on a single Darwin occilarus clown that I have had my eye on at the LFS, when they came out with a BOGO on them at the same LFS this morning. I had been doing my research and made a DIY acclimation box, and so the timing was perfect and I picked up this misbarred bonded pair for $42. they seem a little confused by the box, but it is keeping my jerk of a royal gramma off their backs for now. I will update as things progress. I am hoping for zero aggression.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the dynamic duo only spent about 2 hours in the acclimation box, but I still feel like it was very beneficial. It even appeared to strengthen their bond. I witnessed real submissive behavior from the male in the box. He was posturing and shuddering in response to the female's movements. I have seen similar behavior in freshwater species when they are about to mate. There has been zero aggression since their release thus far. I can tell the royal gramma is disappointed that he is no longer top dawg, but the firefish has a new found freedom because the clowns kind of have his back. The lawnmower blenny could care less. He showered everyone with poop. The yellow watchman goby also has a new bravery because his main antogonist (the Royal gramma) is now sulking in the rocks. It is going really great for now!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, you don’t need to have a pair of Clownfish...a single Clown will be fine! I have two nano tanks with a pair of designer Clowns in the one tank and a single True Percula in my other tank.
Here is the problem I foresee with adding a pair of Clowns to your tank.
You may have an issue with your Firefish and/or Royal Gramma becoming scared or picked on by your potential newcomer/s. Clownfish are territorial! A mated pair would pose a bigger problem due to elevated aggression in their territory. A single Clown, not so much.
As for CUC, you may want to try adding a Black Diadema Sea Urchin and increase the amount of snails and species to what you currently have. Also, up the number of hermits too. Caribbean Red Legs and Scarlet Reef hermits are an ideal choice. Look into adding shrimp and a couple Emerald Crabs to your population as well.

Agreed, I added a single snowflake occ in my 36 gallon bowfront and it was an absolute terror to my dartfish (scissortail and purple firefish) and I firmly believe it eventually did in my scissortail and possibly my purple firefish. My only saving graces from him being relentless were a goby that made it clear to the clown it wasn't going to put up with it and a Melanurus Wrasse that beat the living crap out of it when it got out of line. I don't know what idiot listed ocellaris clownfish as peaceful on all the websites, because they are definitely territorial/semi-aggressive to varying degrees.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 51 49.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back