OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol's @Travis Stewart I figure any and all conversation in threads is a good thing.

@deerhunter06 that was my next question: how to determine the return flow. I have it at 40 % Will up it and see how that works. At least the flow on each drain is now pretty equal!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m wrong but I’ve always been under the impression if it’s gurgling it’s draining faster than the water is returning.... if you have a dc pump why not pick up the speed and try to keep up with the drains?

That would violate one of the fundamental laws of physics. Gravity drains are silent only under two conditions. One, when flow is low enough that the water adheres to the internal surfaces of the pipe; and two when there is no air at all, thus a full siphon. Any stage in between becomes chaotic and noisy. The first silent condition is unrealistic because the flow is too low. The second is impractical unless you couple it with an open channel (herbie or bean). So it ends up being a balancing act. Turn the pump up too high and the durso will flush - in other words alternating between an open channel and a siphon, and that's really noisy. But you don't want it too low because then you won't have adequate turnover. As noted before, I found the sweet spot to be at about 300-350 per 1" durso. Should be fine for any tank up to a 180.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would violate one of the fundamental laws of physics. Gravity drains are silent only under two conditions. One, when flow is low enough that the water adheres to the internal surfaces of the pipe; and two when there is no air at all, thus a full siphon. Any stage in between becomes chaotic and noisy. The first silent condition is unrealistic because the flow is too low. The second is impractical unless you couple it with an open channel (herbie or bean). So it ends up being a balancing act. Turn the pump up too high and the durso will flush - in other words alternating between an open channel and a siphon, and that's really noisy. But you don't want it too low because then you won't have adequate turnover. As noted before, I found the sweet spot to be at about 300-350 per 1" durso. Should be fine for any tank up to a 180.

I thought the gurgle came from the siphon breaking.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the gurgle came from the siphon breaking.

Well, yes the 'flushing' is noisy because when the durso goes siphon it will drain down the overflow to the point where the siphon then breaks and sucks in a lot of air quickly. But a durso operating as an open channel will gurgle because it is constantly sucking in air. Playing around with the amount if air can reduce the noise, but makes very little difference to net flow.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yes the 'flushing' is noisy because when the durso goes siphon it will drain down the overflow to the point where the siphon then breaks and sucks in a lot of air quickly. But a durso operating as an open channel will gurgle because it is constantly sucking in air. Playing around with the amount if air can reduce the noise, but makes very little difference to net flow.

I see, I understand now. Thank you sir.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to you get that sweet spot or tell if you found it? math is not something I'm good at...

You just have to play around with it to find the setting that is quiet enough, but still maintains adequate flow to the sump. I don't recall if you said which pump you use, but if you start with something around 800 gph, you can adjust from there.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!! Sam exact issue. Sump plumbed into my basement. Let me know what the final solution is!!
My sump is also in the basement.
I have a 75 rr with a 50 gal Rubbermaid tub.
When I had the durso, I ran 360 GPh and it was some what quiet. What I had to do to get it quiet was I pulled out the air tube from the top and opened the hole. I think I went about a 1/4". It might have been bigger, I don't exactly remember.
I switched to a Herbie now. It is super quiet and I doubled the return rate. No regrets.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was timed to fill a bucket. I have a 6 gallon bucket and it took 1 minute to fill it. 6 gallons x 60 minutes is 360 gph.
ah, good to know. Don't think I can get a bucket in the sump at this point. But nice to know the formula

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back