1 fish for 20 gallon long reef/frag tank

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I ever get this frag tank up and running I will probably keep some utility type fish like hectors goby and springeri damsel. . . but If I didn't do that and just kept one fish in a 20 long. . . what would be a cool choice?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever get this frag tank up and running I will probably keep some utility type fish like hectors goby and springeri damsel. . . but If I didn't do that and just kept one fish in a 20 long. . . what would be a cool choice?

I'm assuming that up and coming frag tank will be your coral QT tank for 3-6 month observation, which is great way to keep pests from your main tank! We've really improved our coral dip process ... but once those horses escape the coral... at least no new pests getting in here.

Enjoy Hector's Goby classified as 'utility' ... because their size prevents mine from being measurably useful ... but I *LOVE* this fish's markings and would vote for everyone's tank(s) to have one (as long as there is protection from overflow & intakes). However, if only one fish in whole tank, then would vote for something else.

Above suggests wrasse, and there are many types of these and also wrasses are useful.

Given size (and curiosity), Hector's Goby is also easy to lose during water change... I've adjusted my water change process to stop draining hector's gobies into street ally drain behind my house... now no water leaves fish room until visually inspected for stray escaping fish (neon blue goby has also been intercepted trying to reach street drain escape).

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I were to keep the hectors in the frag tank (bare bottom and rocks drilled for frags is the plan) he would be part of a crew. . . if I was going to do a singular fish, it would probably not be the hectors. . . he would go into my display (he's currently in my tiny frag tank). I love Wrasse, but many need sand yes?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to keep the hectors in the frag tank (bare bottom and rocks drilled for frags is the plan) he would be part of a crew. . . if I was going to do a singular fish, it would probably not be the hectors. . . he would go into my display (he's currently in my tiny frag tank). I love Wrasse, but many need sand yes?
I wouldn’t do a hectors in a tank without sand. This is where they get their food from the majority of the time (and often they starve without it).
Some of the wrasses do need sand however those guys are all too large for your tank. You’ll be best off with a Pseudocheilinops ataenia if you remove the Sixline altogether (these guys are nasty with aggression).

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Firefish ....re; although the sixline is incredible , they need a 40min with so much activity

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow banded possum wrasse could be cool, I havent ever been a big fan of sixline wrasses as the only one I have kept would bite fins of other much larger fish. Another option could be a cherub angelfish if the tank only has a couple smaller fish but they can be hit or miss with regards to eating corals. They usually go for meatier corals like acans

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why is there two posts at the same time lol

Also get 5 chromis, some Anthias, clowns, ...... Tangs jk

This thread was supposed to be about a “centerpiece” fish for a 20, other thread was about species only for a fish I could keep 2 or more of. I didn’t mean to bump this thread. . .

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get some kind of micropredator like a Warty Frogfish.

Brooklands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A leaf fish would be a nice addition. They are colorful and very low maintenance. They can also feed off pods without demolishing the population.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 139 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back