1 month old montipora, bleaching?

ethankap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is bleaching or what. I noticed two bubbles on the montipora and blew them off with a baster and under it was a bit white. Since then its spread slightly. Otherwise the montipora is growing, but not sure what this is. I turned the lights down slightly in peak period to see if that helps.

Is this bleaching or something else? One theory I had is it could have been salt fall from the skimmer plate above. Any way to help it repair?

IMG_0309.jpg

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take some pics with the whites on, or even just the whites? It's hard to tell from actinic lighting. From what you are describing, it sounds like slow tissue necrosis (STN) which commonly results from water quality issues.

OP
OP
ethankap

ethankap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take some pics with the whites on, or even just the whites? It's hard to tell from actinic lighting. From what you are describing, it sounds like slow tissue necrosis (STN) which commonly results from water quality issues.

Will take one tomorrow when the lights come up.

Params:

8.4 alk
1 nitrate
0 phosphates
490 calc
0 ammonia, o nitrites
8.2 ph
1.026 salinity

Holding pretty steady too.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is skin missing? That doesn't look like bleaching from those pictures but hard to tell.

You will want to get your nutrients up slightly IMO. Nitrate around 5 and phosphate around .03-.05. Corals need food/nutrients.

OP
OP
ethankap

ethankap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is skin missing? That doesn't look like bleaching from those pictures but hard to tell.

You will want to get your nutrients up slightly IMO. Nitrate around 5 and phosphate around .03-.05. Corals need food/nutrients.

Yeah, so I heard. The low nutrients killed a brain coral. Working on that.

Here's a better shot of the Monti

IMG_0319.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back