1' Mustard Tang in a 96x30x36H 400g?

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know the answer, but isn't he awesome?

I'm tempted....

hugemustard2.jpg hugemustard3.jpg hugemustard5.jpg hugemustardtang.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a recommendation of 250 for tank size online. Should be fine

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a recommendation of 250 for tank size online. Should be fine
Do you sometimes think the recommendations are off? I know some are flat out wrong but I wonder if they mainly just gauge the average size of the fish in the hobby, and go off of that, with the expectation it won't grow much and/or pass away before it hits the giant growth spurt.

This fish would have 8' to pace back and forth for the rest of his life in my tank, and on the turn he only would have about double his body. I don't know. It'd be cool to have a massive fish.

I do have a couple of fish that ended up in the Baltimore National Aquarium, like Stealth in my avatar. I would like this fish to have a good home and maybe I could bring him on and work his way into BNA.

I enjoy visiting and seeing my former buddies I grew out in their new massive homes.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you sometimes think the recommendations are off? I know some are flat out wrong but I wonder if they mainly just gauge the average size of the fish in the hobby, and go off of that, with the expectation it won't grow much and/or pass away before it hits the giant growth spurt.

This fish would have 8' to pace back and forth for the rest of his life in my tank, and on the turn he only would have about double his body. I don't know. It'd be cool to have a massive fish.

I do have a couple of fish that ended up in the Baltimore National Aquarium, like Stealth in my avatar. I would like this fish to have a good home and maybe I could bring him on and work his way into BNA.

I enjoy visiting and seeing my former buddies I grew out in their new massive homes.
I think you are right. Unfortunately many people do not seem to care. While I would say that fish should likely be in its natural habitat, that wont happen again.
And chances are your tank is larger than what he will end up going in. So if you got him, you could rest assured knowing you gave him one of the best homes on the market. :)

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right. Unfortunately many people do not seem to care. While I would say that fish should likely be in its natural habitat, that wont happen again.
And chances are your tank is larger than what he will end up going in. So if you got him, you could rest assured knowing you gave him one of the best homes on the market. :)

I thought about that too. My tank would be temporary, or would force me to finally utilize the empty room in my basement to turn into a huge plywood tank.

I think I will talk to my connections at BNA and get some feelers if they'd eventually be interested. With covid, all aquariums have had a tough time keeping the doors open and fish alive.

A couple aquariums have had to cut back on feedings which has resulted in some cannibalism. Fortunately, BNA has been hanging tough.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Theyre great fish and model citizens. I had one and only got rid of it because it was stealing all the food.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not personally buy a fully grown tang. Deprives me of the enjoyment of watching it grow and you don't know how old it is. If they are giving it away, OK, otherwise pass.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good way to look at it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back