bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's doing it's job, it seems.

Keeps me from using GFO and Nitrates are removed so well I actually have to add some with each water change.

I've made several improvements to my remote fuge over the last several months:
Removed baffles for more growing area
Purchased better spectrum and more powerful light
Doubled the gph feeding it

These all have made a dramatic difference. I feel a well sized refugium with the right light and flow can significantly reduce the need for additional more costly export methods.

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's doing very well for You. what type of light are You using? How big is the tank? I also like the plumbing job. Nothing fancy but it sure is working !

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's doing very well for You. what type of light are You using? How big is the tank? I also like the plumbing job. Nothing fancy but it sure is working !

The light is just a typical LED grow light meant for indoor horticulture, had some great reviews. I checked the spectrum and LEDs and basically matches what the Kessils put out more or less. Draws about ~130watts and I measured about 2700 PAR in the center about 12" away.

I originally have a 3/4" line plumbed from my return line and swapped it all out for 1". When I did that realized that my drain wasn't enough so had to cut a 45mm hole in the glass, not easy when you are too lazy to break it all down and move it. So now I have two 1" bulkheads for drains into my large sump. The added flow really increased the efficiency of that fuge, more water is forced through the chaeto and not just around it.

My display is 180g and total system volume is ~300 gallons. Considering what I feed it works amazingly well. I have a Large Adult Naso Tang and several other fish that eat well. With the fuge and my skimmer I have no export worries now.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Western Australia won't allow Chaeto past quarantine! So I wondered why and checked out the EPA people here to find the stuff is growing like wildfire only a 20 minute ride from my home! The estuary is full of the stuff and they have volunteers ripping it out to reduce its impact. I'm off to the place tomorrow to grab a bagful! Now I don't need to try and find any being sold in the black market ... It can be purchased online in every other state and territory here but it cannot be shipped to Perth. I downloaded the fisheries PDF on the stuff and it's exactly what I haven't been able to get. Now I can. For free. I know it can be a nuisance algae but I'm not going to throw any into the beach or rivers! I just want some in my fuge. Hallelujah!!

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Can you post a link to that light?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Western Australia won't allow Chaeto past quarantine! So I wondered why and checked out the EPA people here to find the stuff is growing like wildfire only a 20 minute ride from my home! The estuary is full of the stuff and they have volunteers ripping it out to reduce its impact. I'm off to the place tomorrow to grab a bagful! Now I don't need to try and find any being sold in the black market ... It can be purchased online in every other state and territory here but it cannot be shipped to Perth. I downloaded the fisheries PDF on the stuff and it's exactly what I haven't been able to get. Now I can. For free. I know it can be a nuisance algae but I'm not going to throw any into the beach or rivers! I just want some in my fuge. Hallelujah!!
What?! Lol I live in West Oz also and Chaeto is what I plan on using as my primary source of nitrate/phosphate removal! I live in Pinjarra. Which estuary are you talking about? I need some chaeto

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?! Lol I live in West Oz also and Chaeto is what I plan on using as my primary source of nitrate/phosphate removal! I live in Pinjarra. Which estuary are you talking about? I need some chaeto
Try to order Chaeto online from any LFS and see what happens when you try to check out. Quarantine does not allow it in WA. I've been to almost every online LFS, including Ebay.com.au - same deal. No delivery to WA. So I googled Chaeto and macro algae in Perth and found the fisheries Dept article-they have a PDF with a map showing every place in the Canning River with abundant Chaeto growth. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll attach it here. I'm stoked because even my LFS said it's illegal to sell. When I get a bunch I'll be happy to give you some. I'm in Middle Swan.
The Canning River is full of Chaeto. Under the Canning bridge, under the Shelly bridge, near Mount Pleasant, near Applecross Virtually anywhere along its shoreline. I went to the Canning bridge yesterday and it's there. Heaps of it!! Going back on Friday with a friend with a small boat to grab some. It will probably need to be washed in clean saltwater but that's not a problem. I'll post again photos of what I get.

I too want some in my fuge! I want to control phosphates and nitrates to prevent ugly blooms in the display.
As I said, I'll be happy to give you a bunch when I get it. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how effective it is when you give it proper light!

I'm using grape calurpa now but maybe I should give cheato another shot.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to order Chaeto online from any LFS and see what happens when you try to check out. Quarantine does not allow it in WA. I've been to almost every online LFS, including Ebay.com.au - same deal. No delivery to WA. So I googled Chaeto and macro algae in Perth and found the fisheries Dept article-they have a PDF with a map showing every place in the Canning River with abundant Chaeto growth. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll attach it here. I'm stoked because even my LFS said it's illegal to sell. When I get a bunch I'll be happy to give you some. I'm in Middle Swan.
The Canning River is full of Chaeto. Under the Canning bridge, under the Shelly bridge, near Mount Pleasant, near Applecross Virtually anywhere along its shoreline. I went to the Canning bridge yesterday and it's there. Heaps of it!! Going back on Friday with a friend with a small boat to grab some. It will probably need to be washed in clean saltwater but that's not a problem. I'll post again photos of what I get.

I too want some in my fuge! I want to control phosphates and nitrates to prevent ugly blooms in the display.
As I said, I'll be happy to give you a bunch when I get it. I'll keep you posted.

I would definitely get some off you mate that would be awesome! PM me when you have some spare :)

I did find a PDF but no map, could you please attach for me?

I live near Mandurah but have never seen it but I didn’t realise it lived locally so I’ll keep an eye out for other populations!

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used grape calurpa (racemosa) and it screwed my tank every time it went sexual. Try paddle calurpa as it does not do this!

I have heard this can happen but mind hasn't gone sexual in the 3 years that I have used it. I put in a fist full of grape calurpa and a fist of cheato when I started my fuge and the calurpa just overtook it. I haven't messed with it too much besides taking out a baseball size worth every week.

Ill give the paddle variety a try if I can get some locally.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard this can happen but mind hasn't gone sexual in the 3 years that I have used it. I put in a fist full of grape calurpa and a fist of cheato when I started my fuge and the calurpa just overtook it. I haven't messed with it too much besides taking out a baseball size worth every week.

Ill give the paddle variety a try if I can get some locally.

Interesting. I wander if it’s actually a different species but looks the same. Convergent evolution? (If you believe that sort of thing ;) )

Back