10 gallon help

Reid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 10 gallon tank, and i only want a few tentacle like coral.
Frogspawn looks good, but i want to know more types before i decide.
Also, does anyone know what's the best equipment for one of these tanks?
I'm completely new to saltwater, all i know is freshwater...

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for soft corals as a beginner since they are more hardie when first starting out. Then you can move onto the LPS (large polyp stonies) you're wanting :). Other such corals like the frogspawn would be octospawns, hammers and torches off the top of my head! As for equipment... water changes would do perfect but maybe an led light would be enough and a small hang on back filter for flow and overall filtration. Go on tidal gardens website and they give great info for overall care and almost everything with each coral specimen :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Reid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for soft corals as a beginner since they are more hardie when first starting out. Then you can move onto the LPS (large polyp stonies) you're wanting :). Other such corals like the frogspawn would be octospawns, hammers and torches off the top of my head! As for equipment... water changes would do perfect but maybe an led light would be enough and a small hang on back filter for flow and overall filtration
What's the needs in terms of ph, salinity, and other stuff for the frogspawn?
Also, how would i feed them? Are they more like animals in terms of feeding, or do i need a liquid like what a plant would need

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for soft corals as a beginner since they are more hardie when first starting out. Then you can move onto the LPS (large polyp stonies) you're wanting :). Other such corals like the frogspawn would be octospawns, hammers and torches off the top of my head! As for equipment... water changes would do perfect but maybe an led light would be enough and a small hang on back filter for flow and overall filtration
This sort of advice is posted a lot and while its good advice and well intentioned I cant help hut disagree whenever I see it. If you get a bunch of softier and brown corals just to start out well, thats gonna fill a 10 gallon to the brim in no time. However some good soft corals to start with that you wont regret filling your tank with are zoas and palys, rhodactis and discosoma mushrooms (real hot right now!). And honestly maybe a few years ago when thr hobby was harder to get into it made sense to aboid stony corals as a beginner but to be honest I wpuld cosider most LPS beginner corals nowadays as long as a tank os set up well. Good LPS that are easy to keep are acans. Very easy to keep and add great color to a tank. Another coral family thats great is Euphyllia. Thos includes frogspwan which I see you already have your eye on, and I recommend getting a golden torch coral. Its a classic really the colors are just unmatched and theyre so easy to come by I wouldnt stock a tank without one. Oh and #Welcome to R2R! ;)

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the needs in terms of ph, salinity, and other stuff for the frogspawn?
Also, how would i feed them? Are they more like animals in terms of feeding, or do i need a liquid like what a plant would need

Go here aswell for additional info https://www.tidalgardens.com/corals/lps.html look for the torches, frogspawn and hammers to read care and anything associated with those corals and others you may like :) and @Oscaror is abs0lutely right aswell :)

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!!
Let’s first start off with what your going to have as for equipment and lighting?
If your new then there’s a lot things to learn before starting up your tank.
How do you plan on cycling?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back