10 Gallon Oyster Reef Tank

Josh Carter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started this 10 gallon nano oyster reef tank with a focus on Stretchjaw blennies (Chasmodes longimaxilla). Tank features only 1 small female stretchjaw to begin with. Oyster cultches built by re-articulating oyster halves together, some closed some open, and then fixed to internal support with instant ocean holdfast epoxy. Caulerpa will is used to mimic seagrass and keep nuisance algae down. Later livestock additions will include 1 more small stretchjaw male, 1 freckled blenny (Hypsoblennius ionthas), 2 naked gobies (Gobiosoma bosc) and 1 or 2 local bigclaw snapping shrimp (Alpheus heterochaelis). Also, need to get a smaller heater and hide it well, but tank was built with what I had in storage.

Enjoy!

DSC06899.JPG

DSC06897.JPG

DSC06889.JPG

DSC06906.JPG

DSC06912.JPG

DSC06917.JPG

DSC06919.JPG

DSC06926.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sweet!

Are you going to put actual oysters in it?

OP
OP
Josh Carter

Josh Carter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sweet!

Are you going to put actual oysters in it?

No, just really after a tank to feature the stretchjaw blenny. I study them for my master's work and wanted a tank with them I could see everyday. Though it would be cool, I think live oysters in a tank this small would be difficult to keep fed long-term without compromising water quality. Cheers!

Back