10 gallon QT for 3 fish

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add 3 fish to my DT. Not totally set yet, but thinking of a blue spotted jawfish, dwarf angelfish, and a small freeswimmer like a chromis, cardinal fish, or wrasse.

I have a cycled 10 gallon QT running. Is that large enough to hold these 3 fish and copper treat them together for 2-4 weeks? I'd add a saucer of sand if I get a jawfish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add 3 fish to my DT. Not totally set yet, but thinking of a blue spotted jawfish, dwarf angelfish, and a small freeswimmer like a chromis, cardinal fish, or wrasse.

I have a cycled 10 gallon QT running. Is that large enough to hold these 3 fish and copper treat them together for 2-4 weeks? I'd add a saucer of sand if I get a jawfish.

I would strongly urge you to skip the BSJ. They fair poorly. Their proper temperature range is around 68 to 72 F and they are prone to bacterial skin infections. A saucer of sand would not be enough for it to form a burrow and without a burrow it isn't going to last for a full quarantine run.

Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping ammonia under control would be a challenge, but beyond that I can see the angel getting aggressive in so small a tank. I would shoot for something larger or quarantine them separately.

OP
OP
M

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly urge you to skip the BSJ. They fair poorly. Their proper temperature range is around 68 to 72 F and they are prone to bacterial skin infections. A saucer of sand would not be enough for it to form a burrow and without a burrow it isn't going to last for a full quarantine run.

Jay
Cool, thanks for the advice jay. I could add full sand if needed. Was planning to run 77, but that's still warm I know. I will reconsider the BSJ.

OP
OP
M

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping ammonia under control would be a challenge, but beyond that I can see the angel getting aggressive in so small a tank. I would shoot for something larger or quarantine them separately.
Maybe a blenny (in place of jawfish) and the other fish together. And after they were done with QT, an angelfish alone?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bangaii cardial
tail spot blenny
diadema basslet

Other alternative to consider. If no coral planned, blue spot puffer would be as striking at Blue spot jaw

OP
OP
M

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangaii cardial
tail spot blenny
diadema basslet

Other alternative to consider. If no coral planned, blue spot puffer would be as striking at Blue spot jaw
Thank you. No coral planned, but it's only a 37 gal. I'm already pushing it with a dwarf angel. If I could swing a puffer (any really), i would love one (in place of a dwarf angel). My tank is too small though, correct?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you. No coral planned, but it's only a 37 gal. I'm already pushing it with a dwarf angel. If I could swing a puffer (any really), i would love one (in place of a dwarf angel). My tank is too small though, correct?
I see no problem with both which attain 3-3.5" in a 30" tank

1691956634793.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Aww man I was all excited for the possibility of a puffer, but then remembered I'm going to get some sexy shrimp soon. That's gonna be a no go, huh?
That is 50/50 as they have very small mouths but also have an appetite and desire for what foods they find attractive

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks for the advice jay. I could add full sand if needed. Was planning to run 77, but that's still warm I know. I will reconsider the BSJ.
I would skip that species. Run a search here for BSJ disease….
Jay

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would do a pair of clowns and a royal gramma and some hermit crabs as cleanup crew eventually

BobTheBlenney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a lubbock, a pintail, and a longnose hawk in 10g QT with no problems. It's been 2 weeks, no ammonia, and everyone eats like pigs. The pintail chases the lubbock a bit but nothing serious.

OP
OP
M

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool can I see the tank?? You don't havet to just curious
Sure, some pics in this thread:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back