10 Gallon Reef/MacroAlgae Tank

GirlWithFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have finally decided on a 10 gallon for my first saltwater tank. I know the size makes it less than ideal for a first tank but I have a lot of experience with freshwater from planted tropical tanks to cold water tanks. I currently have 7 freshwater tanks so I don’t have space for more than 10 gallons right now haha. The main focus of the tank is going to be macroalgae with live rock, for now it will be FOWLR. I’m going to hold off on coral for a bit until I can upgrade the light system and protein skimmer and such. The tank will be outfitted with a full spectrum LED light for the macroalgae (will maybe use a fluval plant light as I love that light). The tank has a topfin 30 with a fluval sponge inside (not my fav filter but I have it lying around and it does the job, I also like the adjustable flow). I am planning on adding two turbo snails, thor ambionensis shrimp, an pom pom crab, and a lettuce nudibranch (once the tank has aged for a few months). My question is, do these inhabitants sounds reasonable? I understand the unique needs of the nudibranch. Would you suggest any fish for a 10 gallon- would a pair of clownfish be suitable (I’m getting mixed results on that). The other fish I have fallen in love with is a banggai cardinalfish- would I be able to have one of these (instead of the clowns)? If these aren’t reasonable, I am very open to any suggestions or ideas! Thanks :)

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai look great in macro tanks and are a nice peaceful fish. Every man and his dog has a couple of clowns, always nice to see something different.

OP
OP
GirlWithFish

GirlWithFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am concerned about size of the fish, I will be unable to upgrade the tank for a few months (I should hopefully be upgrading to at least a 20 long maybe a 40B by next January). I don’t want to get attached to fish and then have to return them to the store, which isn’t a huge deal but sad. I would like a pair of clowns and my LFS said they would do great in a 10 gallon but I’m still uncertain. I may go with two court jester goby’s instead or two tiger goby’s

OP
OP
GirlWithFish

GirlWithFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything will eventually out grow a tank imo...the bug will bite you and fresh water will be a thing of your dark past...bigger tanks are a evil eventuality
For sure I will upgrade eventually but I will be unable to upgrade until next January when I move (see above) would they outgrow the tank before then? I’m concerned about it

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do things like Priolepis, Trimma, Eviota, etc. spp. gobies or a clown goby. I know some people also have done small pistol shrimp/goby pairs in 10 gallons before.

Depending on the corals and how much effort you're up for putting in, you could also do it as a dwarf seahorse tank.

OP
OP
GirlWithFish

GirlWithFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I’m actually going to upgrade the tank to a 20. It’s gone from a 5.5 to a 10 and now to a 20 haha I’ll post the build thread in a few days:)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I’m actually going to upgrade the tank to a 20. It’s gone from a 5.5 to a 10 and now to a 20 haha I’ll post the build thread in a few days:)
Well, better to upgrade before you start buying stuff, LOL.
I do think the clowns would be alright for a year or so, especially if you got juveniles. My clown does not use much space. Small blennies and gobies would be fun in a 10 gallon tank too. Cardinals are not active but I still find them to be a nice fish.

OP
OP
GirlWithFish

GirlWithFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, better to upgrade before you start buying stuff, LOL.
I do think the clowns would be alright for a year or so, especially if you got juveniles. My clown does not use much space. Small blennies and gobies would be fun in a 10 gallon tank too. Cardinals are not active but I still find them to be a nice fish.
Can I keep a banggai cardinalfish, a pair of clowns, and a court jester goby in a 20 gallon or is that overstocked? I’ll make a build thread soon for the 20:)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I keep a banggai cardinalfish, a pair of clowns, and a court jester goby in a 20 gallon or is that overstocked? I’ll make a build thread soon for the 20:)
I would not consider that overstocked once your tank is fully cycled. Live rock is very beneficial if you can afford to add at least a couple of pieces. KP Aquatics has quality live rock and a piece or two will help seed dry rock. Of course you might want to do a hyper or hypo dip to watch for hitch hikers like mantis shrimp. If you are still wanting macroalgae, you actually need the nutrients fish will make through poo to grow the macros. I love fish and having the macros gives me an excuse to have as many fish as possible.

OP
OP
GirlWithFish

GirlWithFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not consider that overstocked once your tank is fully cycled. Live rock is very beneficial if you can afford to add at least a couple of pieces. KP Aquatics has quality live rock and a piece or two will help seed dry rock. Of course you might want to do a hyper or hypo dip to watch for hitch hikers like mantis shrimp. If you are still wanting macroalgae, you actually need the nutrients fish will make through poo to grow the macros. I love fish and having the macros gives me an excuse to have as many fish as possible.
great! Thank you so much!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh btw, in your original post you said about getting a protein skimmer? I would hold off on that until you know you will need it. I have 10 fish in a 56 gallon tank, I feed heavy and with the macroalgae, I do not use a protein skimmer.

OP
OP
GirlWithFish

GirlWithFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh btw, in your original post you said about getting a protein skimmer? I would hold off on that until you know you will need it. I have 10 fish in a 56 gallon tank, I feed heavy and with the macroalgae, I do not use a protein skimmer.
Ok great I will hold off then, I was on the fence about it bc of the macro. What light do you think I should get for the tank- should it be geared more towards plants or marine? I may have a couple of coral eventually so I’m not sure what light spectrum to use that will grow both coral and macro

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 47.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back