10 gallon Saltwater opinions

MDV39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals i'm new to saltwater and am setting up my first 10gal tank. I've been keeping freshwater fish for about 6 years. I just wanted to post my plan and get opinions from more experiments hobbyists.

Equipment: 10 gallon tank
Light: Corallife LED Aqualight S
Filtration: Fluval Aqua Clear 50 HOB w/ Fliter Foam and Purigen
Heater: Colbat Aquatics 100w
Pump: Koralina nano 425
Salt: Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Substrate: Live Sand

LiveStock

Fish
2x Clownfish
Firefish

Corals
Lobo
Mushroom
Acans
Zoas

Thanks for any advice!

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome!
Im sure youll love this site :D

Few notes...
1) you may be able to get rid of the purigen-I used to run chemipure elite but not anymore. I run my 10 gal with only a foam block and a 2 gal water change every 2 weeks.
2) I love my koralia nano, I use those exclusively for my nanos :) Youll be happy with it, just watch for too much flow with those LPS. I have a 20 gal rated marineland filter and it provides enough flow for my 10 gal without the koralia.
3) Its not a good idea to put 2 clowns and a firefish in a 10 gallon IMO because the firefish is very skittish. One swish from the female nemo and he will hide forever. I think thats a bit too overloaded for bioload as well. I wouldnt even put two clowns in a 10 gal....but its not my tank :) lol Maybe you can get away with it when theyre small? but remember they get to 3-4 inches each with the female probably a tad bigger (occelaris-spelling?) Stocking SW tank is vastly different than FW. (I started at FW and was shocked when most of the stuff didnt translate LOL)
4) the lobo is going to grow so big...again, wont fit into a 10 gallon and may kill off your other coral in an attempt to gain more "territory". your other corals look great.
5) lights-Ive never had the one youre referring to, I have the lifegard aquatics 12 inch. I love it. Downside: I wish I was able to lower the intensity on it.

Good luck! and ask questions :D

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back