10 gallon sump DIY Question

Kizzile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm brand new to saltwater but have 16 years in freshwater aquariums & decided to try my luck in the salt world. I recently purchased a 36 gallon bowfront with 50 lbs of live rock & 30 lbs of live sand. I've had it cycling with a powerhead directed at the stacked live rock for 6 days & added a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp yesterday. That is my only filtration & from what I've read & Youtube videos I've seen this is an acceptable form of filtration. Coming from freshwater I can't imagine this so I decided to build my own 10 gallon sump & overflow box. I'm confused as to what size return pump I need with what hose size fitting. Also if the power goes off what stops the siphon into the sump and return hose into the aquarium from siphoning back into the sump other than the water draining below the overflow box/return hose opening? These are big concerns of mine in the thought of keeping the water flows even and not allowing gallons of saltwater to flow onto my upstairs apartment floor. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Kizzile

Kizzile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I only realized it was in the wrong place after it was posted.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in setting up your sump be sure to do the following tests/adjustments:

1) no sump flood with power off.
2) normal operation returns when the power returns.
3) with overflow failure (blockage, siphon break) no display flood (sumps runs dry first).

You can use any old storage container for the sump. seems like a mag3 type pump would be sufficient.

also you can make an overflow from pvc pipe for $20 or so.

and you might consider getting a couple of 10-20g containers and setting up a test/practice system in the yard/garage. better to flood the yard then the living room.

my .02

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just read your original post further.

The overflow drains to the sump whatever is being pumped back to the display. It is self correcting. It is not a matter of matching (pipe sizes, valves, etc,etc) the drain to the pump for instance.

OP
OP
Kizzile

Kizzile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A light bulb just came on in my head. That would make sense that if there isn't anymore water coming into the tank there wouldn't be anymore overflow going out. It looks like I was over thinking it. Thanks so much!

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return is deep in the tank you can drill a small hole near the top to break siphon during power outage or it won't stop until water is below return. Just make sure hole is below water line. I don't trust check valves long term

OP
OP
Kizzile

Kizzile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea & I agree the more fail safes the better! Thank you for all the helpful information!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 81 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back