10 gallon tank ideas

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo a pair of ocelaris or percula clownfish do fine in a 10 gal,So that would be my choice for fish.Or if you are wanting some kind of goby in your system then a rainford goby would be sweet.And Some inverts

that novice guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man no Mandarin in a 10 gallon they have specialized feeding requirements they need to have an ample supply of cocapods

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man no Mandarin in a 10 gallon they have specialized feeding requirements they need to have an ample supply of cocapods

I am his older sister but i'm in another state, our mom bought it for him as a surprise. I have one that eats frozen and i am going to guide him to try to get his to eat frozen as well.

180galreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clowns should be fine, you cant put much in a 10 gal anyways. How long has this tank been running? The mandarin needs to go back to where ever you got it, it wont work in a 10gal.

OP
OP
redneck reefer

redneck reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i knew all about how hard it is to kep a mandarin.but my mom didnt and she just seen one in a store and bought it for me

OP
OP
redneck reefer

redneck reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been going since friday,but i plan to let it cycle before i put in the mandarin,we have another tank that it is in now

OP
OP
redneck reefer

redneck reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long should we have waited? verything has been going smoothly with no problems.the watchman has been very haelthy and active

180galreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually take a couple weeks to cycle. Have you had a diatom bloom yet? If so you should see algae building on the sand and rocks.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya def let the tank cycle before adding fish.Do u have any test kits?Cycle can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months normaly but ya need test kits to know how the cycle is going.As far as the manderin it would be hard to keep it in a 10 gallon long term adding pods that often would get very very pricey.But Anyone can keep a manderin as long as they supply it with the food it needs.I setup a pod breeding tank to help supply the pods for my manderin.But make sure you do lots of research and realize how much its gunna cost to supply the mandering with pods because most people dont realize how many pods they can eat per day.I know its in the hundreds.And its gunna cost around 10 bucks for about 500 pods.So if ya dont think you want to dish out that kind of money for a fish then id get rid of the manderin sooner then later because they look fine for about 2 months then they will just slowly die.And its very hard to bring them back to health

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i would make sure not to add any other fish that will eat pods to the same tank as the manderin

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put more than two fish in a 10 gallon. And I agree with everyone else about the mandarin. It was a great gift but it's not a beginner's fish or suited for a small tank. I wouldn't put any fish in the tank while it's cycling. It stresses the fish and it's not necessary anymore to cycle with fish. You can add beneficial bacteria and some fish food and get the same results. Could you tell us what the water parameters on your tank are? By that I mean salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. Also, what test kits are you using? With all of that we'll be better able to help you!

12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

mgdmirage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mandarin in a 15 gallon for a few months and had to remove him because of a **** Petco fish I got that had Ich. Anyway the Mandarin was fat and healthy and he is currently in my 40B and eats frozen and is still fat after 6 months now. A mandarin is possible in any sized tank 10+ gallons IF you can get them trained and spot feed them often. Vitamin soaked mysis is the easiest to get them on. Pick up a medicine syringe and get some rigid airline tubing. I had my mandarin trained in 3 days. This is not a fish I would have as a beginner though but since you already have it learn as much as you can if you intend to keep it. A rainford goby was mentioned but they too have special requirements, fine sand that is well established as they almost never eat food from the water column they sift the sand for algae and other food. Clownfish are great but they get really nasty as they get older and a 10 gallon leaves them little space so the whole tank they will assume is their territory and eventually harrass anything you introduce after them.

Back