10 gallon tank

daniel_lee95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to start up a 10 gallon saltwater tank. I was wondering what type of filter i should run? What type of fish is compatible for a 10g? And im gonna move my nems and zoa to this tank.

Adam Baggett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say another 10 gallon tank. You don't want to go hang on the back as that is fresh water. In the sump you can then put skimmer, macro algea etc

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to run a sump you could run something like an Aqua Clear 70 or 110. Either can be moded into a refugium type filter. If you don't want to go that way you can just go with good flow and enough live rock to handle the bioload of the tank. The most important thing is keeping up on water changes, I do weekly 2 gallon water changes on my 10 gallon, and it keeps my paramaters in check and the the tanks nutrient levels down. I ran the tank for almost a year with only a small deep blue HOB filter that I ran some carbon in and about 12 lbs of live rock with a hydor nano 240 and a hagan 201. I recently added an Odyssea refugium/skimmer HOB combo and took the powerfilter off.

As for fish, I wouldn't go more than 2 or 3 small fish. I only have 1 small blenny and a pepermint shrimp in mine.

full tank shot 9-9-14.jpg

OP
OP
D

daniel_lee95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to run a sump you could run something like an Aqua Clear 70 or 110. Either can be moded into a refugium type filter. If you don't want to go that way you can just go with good flow and enough live rock to handle the bioload of the tank. The most important thing is keeping up on water changes, I do weekly 2 gallon water changes on my 10 gallon, and it keeps my paramaters in check and the the tanks nutrient levels down. I ran the tank for almost a year with only a small deep blue HOB filter that I ran some carbon in and about 12 lbs of live rock with a hydor nano 240 and a hagan 201. I recently added an Odyssea refugium/skimmer HOB combo and took the powerfilter off.

As for fish, I wouldn't go more than 2 or 3 small fish. I only have 1 small blenny and a pepermint shrimp in mine.

full tank shot 9-9-14.jpg

Yeah.. i have no idea on how to set up a sump and im on a budget.. I was thinking about a HOB with a powerhead for enough flow. How do you like the skimmer/refugium combo?

luvsalth20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel, I would like to follow this thread as I'm currently looking to do the same. Best of luck!

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 10 gallon with 2 aquaclear 20 hob's one is modded to a fuge and the other with the media It comes with minus the pellets (nitrate factory) just need 5$ aquarium Glue works great for me just ugly :) and one jebao wp10 for flow. 2 small clowns would be ok for a little bit and clown gobys if your not keeping acros good luck!

Adam Baggett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are not a hard concept and would add a few things 1. Most important water volume, 2. A place to put your heater, skimmer etc. Giving you more room in your display, 3. A place to put agressive fish. There are more reasons also. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this and I would DIY an overflow for this also. Plus very low cost.

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g glass tanks are only 13$ at deathco so you could always try drilling the tank if your feelling froggy ;)

OP
OP
D

daniel_lee95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 10 gallon with 2 aquaclear 20 hob's one is modded to a fuge and the other with the media It comes with minus the pellets (nitrate factory) just need 5$ aquarium Glue works great for me just ugly :) and one jebao wp10 for flow. 2 small clowns would be ok for a little bit and clown gobys if your not keeping acros good luck!

do you mind uploading a picture?

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics in my thread think the links in signature or "josh's first and a half reef" this all I have in the phone :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412883113045.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412883113045.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 145

IotaElwyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a great 10 gallon Live rock only for a while. Kept a clown, a peppertmint, some snails and some crabs happy.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the skimmer but it runs a little bit wetter than I would like but with the bio load I have it does just fine. Between the skimmer and fuge it added about 3 1/2 gallons to the system and it was pretty much plug and play. The only thing I don't like about the fuge is that it has very very low flow rate at the bottom of it. I'm going to add a small 50gph pump to it that should help.
The fuge gives me a place to put my heater, some extra live rock and a place to grow macro algae. I'm lighting the fuge with an 18 watt 6500k planted tank led light.
Skimmer fuge right side.jpg

skimmer cup.jpg

cheato in fuge.jpg

OP
OP
D

daniel_lee95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that looks like a lot of money... i plan on just buying the fluval U2. And maybe an extra powerhead if it needs more flow

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back