10 gallon transition

JamesB13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

Posting because I want to convert my 10 gallon freshwater aquarium into a reef aquarium. (the current fish are being re-homed to my roommate)
Anyway, here is the kit: Freshwater Saltwater LED Aquarium Kits | Marineland

I know I will need to replace or reinforce the lighting, definitely looking for suggestions there. budget tops out around $150ish for lights.
Also wondering if that filter is sufficient enough or if I'll need a pump for more circulation.
Finally, I've been debating on whether to get a skimmer or not, I've read cases for both. wondering what you think the pros/cons are either way.

All advice is welcome, doesn't have to all be over what I asked.

Thanks so much!

Viracon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that skimmers made for tanks that size are actually effective. Your system volume is small enough that regular water changes and not overfeeding will be all you need.

Be prepared for parameters to fluctuate alot though with only 10 gallons. Nano tanks can sometimes be more work than lets say a 30-40 gallon tank for that reason.

bonz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that skimmers made for tanks that size are actually effective.
Why do you say that? I disagree. IMO If he had the same bioload but in a 40 gallon a skimmer will be less effective because there will be less organics per a particle of water. If you keep a low bioload you can get away with no skimmer. No cons to having one pros better filtration and more oxygen. Don't worry about the skimmer until your tank is running for a few months. Do you have the specs of the light? I couldn't find them online. A small powerhead will help something that pushes 100-200 gph. Your filter is fine. Just use the bio wheel for you bio filter. Add a bag of carbon and some filter floss.

OP
OP
J

JamesB13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights give off 460 LUX and 165 Lumens.

From what I've gathered that wont be enough to sustain the Lps corals I plan on getting. Still trying to figure out what lighting would be the best.

Back