10 gallon?

BriBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have owned freshwater fish all my life and now I'm considering to upgrade to something more advanced. I honestly know very little about saltwater aquariums, which is why I want to study and ask questions before I decide if I want to start one up. Also, of course, I'll do plenty of research outside of this thread.

Would a 10 gallon be able to house any kind of saltwater animal/plant? Would I need a specific kind of filter? When I add the salt-do I just mix it in? Any tips?

Thank you so much!

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do lots of research and buy the biggest tank you can afford/fit. Bigger is better in this hobby because it is more forgiving when you make a mistake. Your water parameters are easier to keep stable. Smaller tanks take more attention and care. While you can definitely start with a 10 gallon. Mix your salt in a bucket never mix salt in your tank if you have live animals in it. The salt is caustic and will hurt them if mixed in the tank. Not to mention if you make a mistake like I did and forgot to change the measurement on your scale (measured in kg instead of lbs. my mistake) you can correct it easily. You can use a hob filter for mechanical filtration. Your off to a good start by researching first. Also take your time don't rush your tank.

Back