100 Gallon Lagoon-style acrylic AIO

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take back some of my comments on the Maxspect app. You actually can set durations and such through the app at a more granular level. I don't find the app very intuitive and their 'manuals', a couple of simplistic videos and a QR code in the 'User Manual', doesn't really get you there. Right now I'm running 10%-30%, 1 sec pulse anti-sync on the two pumps. The pumps can run sync, anti-sync or time-delayed. Every time I try to test it though I need a half dozen tries to get the right sequence of thumb presses to get to the sync settings, etc. I'm sure I will get there but they should could use a little polish on the app and maybe some instructions.
I'm happy to hear that you were able to figure something out with the gyres. I'm hoping that because mine are supposedly simpler that setting them up will be easier. I'm not pointing them straight at each other like you are so maybe that will make a difference. I've got the 4k set to stream across the top of the tank and the 2k attached to the back wall with one side pointed in each direction so hopefully there will be no dead spots behind the rock scape. If I pulse I think it's going to be longer pulses instead of short ones but we'll see. I decided not to have so much locline on my return so it will mostly just jet straight out from the bulkhead. Every time I try multiple pieces of locline it just ends up with algae and other gunk growing all over it even if there isn't algae elsewhere in the tank. I'm not really a fan but what else are ya gonna use?

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to hear that you were able to figure something out with the gyres. I'm hoping that because mine are supposedly simpler that setting them up will be easier. I'm not pointing them straight at each other like you are so maybe that will make a difference. I've got the 4k set to stream across the top of the tank and the 2k attached to the back wall with one side pointed in each direction so hopefully there will be no dead spots behind the rock scape. If I pulse I think it's going to be longer pulses instead of short ones but we'll see. I decided not to have so much locline on my return so it will mostly just jet straight out from the bulkhead. Every time I try multiple pieces of locline it just ends up with algae and other gunk growing all over it even if there isn't algae elsewhere in the tank. I'm not really a fan but what else are ya gonna use?
Right now my 30%, 1sec pulse, anti-sync settings seem to work well. I do have a vortex but it is mid tank and only reaches down about 4" from the surface. In general the LPS are swaying more so decent back and forth but the sand is staying in place better. Even the powder fine Ocean Direct is staying more or less in place. I just talked to my real LFS, as opposed to all of my not-really-that-L FSs and he's going to get me another 20 lb. bag of Special Grade tomorrow. I was really 5 lbs. or so short of my desired sand bed anyway. I'll overlay some of the Ocean Direct because I want to see if I can bump it to 40%. Wish they still sold the 10 lbs. bags.

I thought about doing something similar to yours in my tank but I'm not sure how it would work out with my scape. I still may end up trying it but so far, for today, I'm pleased with the flow.

I'm not overly fond of plastics in a sw tank as they are always algae magnets. I went with a longer Loc-Line to give me some aiming flexibility with the RFG and to get it a little further away from the right-hand gyre.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my 30%, 1sec pulse, anti-sync settings seem to work well. I do have a vortex but it is mid tank and only reaches down about 4" from the surface. In general the LPS are swaying more so decent back and forth but the sand is staying in place better. Even the powder fine Ocean Direct is staying more or less in place. I just talked to my real LFS, as opposed to all of my not-really-that-L FSs and he's going to get me another 20 lb. bag of Special Grade tomorrow. I was really 5 lbs. or so short of my desired sand bed anyway. I'll overlay some of the Ocean Direct because I want to see if I can bump it to 40%. Wish they still sold the 10 lbs. bags.

I thought about doing something similar to yours in my tank but I'm not sure how it would work out with my scape. I still may end up trying it but so far, for today, I'm pleased with the flow.

I'm not overly fond of plastics in a sw tank as they are always algae magnets. I went with a longer Loc-Line to give me some aiming flexibility with the RFG and to get it a little further away from the right-hand gyre.
I don’t mind a little vortex in the middle as long as the sand isn’t getting blown all over.
I just received a 20# bag of ocean direct as well but I haven’t even looked at it yet. I’m hoping there will not be sand blowing all over the place. I’m still going to get at least 10# of Tampa Bay live sand which I know will be heavier and that will go on top. They still have delayed shipping dates so I’ll just do that later.
I decided to go with the 2k on the back wall to keep the right side panel clear. It’s one of my main viewing angles along with the front. The left panel will be towards the corner of the room so having the 4K on that end isn’t a big deal even though it looks enormous. With the 2k on the back wall I can point one end in each direction so hopefully there won’t be any dead spots back there. It’s all theoretical at this point but if I get the old tank out of the way tomorrow I could have water flowing by the weekend. That’s the plan for tomorrow anyway, subject to getting blown up by work stuff.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back