100% SPS bleaching / dye off overnight

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Yesterday I was trying to make room in the tank for some new corals. I had to do some re aquascaping. I have a few rocks with a lot of Paly's and Zoas. Those were the only pieces I moved. When I moved one of the rocks I noticed it pulled a Kenya tree off. The other thing I noticed some of the Paly's closed up and started sliming and clouding the tank. I am 99% sure that the release of Palytoxin killed all of my SPS. But still a little unsure. This tank is well established up and running over 8 years. I have moved stuff around in the past but never with this result. 100% SPS die off. My setosa still had some color this morning. It is now gone. I did a water change and am running carbon and a Poly filter. Water params are normal. Has any one else had a similar experience? Could it be something other than palytoxin? Any thoughts?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Yesterday I was trying to make room in the tank for some new corals. I had to do some re aquascaping. I have a few rocks with a lot of Paly's and Zoas. Those were the only pieces I moved. When I moved one of the rocks I noticed it pulled a Kenya tree off. The other thing I noticed some of the Paly's closed up and started sliming and clouding the tank. I am 99% sure that the release of Palytoxin killed all of my SPS. But still a little unsure. This tank is well established up and running over 8 years. I have moved stuff around in the past but never with this result. 100% SPS die off. My setosa still had some color this morning. It is now gone. I did a water change and am running carbon and a Poly filter. Water params are normal. Has any one else had a similar experience? Could it be something other than palytoxin? Any thoughts?

I had Paly Toxin Kill off all My Hammer and Frogspawn recently.

I talked to someone else who had the same problem too.

Got to be very very careful with Paly's.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That slime from some palys is nasty. It's happened to me before now i turn off all flow and use a baster to suck the slime if i'm ripping pest zoas.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were any of your rocks that you moved on the sand bed? I'm wondering if you may have also released some pockets of Hydrogen Sulphide that had built up underneath your rock. I've heard of this happening but no personal experience (thankfully). My understanding is that moving rock that sitting on the sand bed can take out a tank if there are pockets of HS that have built up. Someone smarter than I can confirm or deny. In any case, I hope things get better. It sucks any time something like this happens regardless of why. :(

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were any of your rocks that you moved on the sand bed? I'm wondering if you may have also released some pockets of Hydrogen Sulphide that had built up underneath your rock. I've heard of this happening but no personal experience (thankfully). My understanding is that moving rock that sitting on the sand bed can take out a tank if there are pockets of HS that have built up. Someone smarter than I can confirm or deny. In any case, I hope things get better. It sucks any time something like this happens regardless of why. :(

+1

I have heard of this too.

frugner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should have given me half of it instead of trying to move your rocks, like you said you would. at least this didn't kill those zoas i gave you. and the pocket of gas being released is quite possible, but i thought you said you only moved top-rocks. this is just one more reason why i have no sand.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back