OP
Scuba95Diver

Scuba95Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started designing the 1000 on a computer program. lots more updates to come!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is allot of water. I don't know exactly what thickness, but I think it would be atleast 1.5" with a good eurobrace. I would surely use Polycast acrylic though. It isn't measured in metric thickness. Most people say 0.250", but in reality most in 6mm (0.236") Polycast is actually 0.250, so it is a little thicker. Are you planning on solvent welding or two part? JPG@CFI makes acrylic systems exclusively, and should be able to steer you in the right direction.

OP
OP
Scuba95Diver

Scuba95Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on solvent welding. and yeah the aquarium thickness will be about 1.5"!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signing up to follow this one!

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acrylite website has a thickness calculator located at the bottom of this page is the link
http://www.acrylite.net/product/acr...aquarium-specialty-glazing/pages/default.aspx
You need to setup a free account to access it and I believe it is an excel download. I would guess 1.5-2" is what they will recommend. I just saw a tank I didn't builds that was 8 long by 3 high and it had 1". Probably less than it should have been but that's the benefit of building your own tank you get to build a higher quality project. Purchasing a custom acrylic tank in those dims from a high quality fabricator would probably cost $15k. Personally I would recommend glass over acrylic for scratch reasons but sounds like you are an acrylic guy.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should've been more direct in my line of questioning :) Have you checked the foundations where you plan to install this tank to ensure the additional load is okay?

OP
OP
Scuba95Diver

Scuba95Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should've been more direct in my line of questioning :) Have you checked the foundations where you plan to install this tank to ensure the additional load is okay?
Not yet. I have an idea on where it will go but that is what the designing process is for, is to calculate the weight, and design of the tank and all the equipment for it and how it will all fit together! This is my favorite part of doing the project is designing it!

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back