OP
JohnR

JohnR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pet shop is Sandy's pet shop.

I have been hedging on whether I should get a tank or not. Reading some threads about how one crashed etc....I guess I need to talk to someone with a local setup and ask questions.

mizzoumed02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, John, your doing the right thing by doing your research before you go out and buy a tank. There is So much information on this site, it's not funny. As far as your tank, I'd go with the Biocube over just a standard 10gal tank. Your biocubes come with just about everything you need as far as lighting and filtration. Do some checking in your area and see if you can find others in the hobby and go talk with them and get their input on where they shop locally and who has the best store to get stuff from.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Biocube. With it being an all in one solution, its your best bet to get started. There are plenty of custom things you can do to them as well, like changing filtration, different trays for the back, upgraded lighting etc.

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best price for live rock is your local forums or craigslist etc. I am in Louisville as well and have bought live rock from people tearing down a tank for $2-$2.50 a pound. Best deal I got on dry rock was 150 - 200 lbs for $150. Recently saw about 80 lbs of live rock go for $100 on a local forum. You need to be concerned about pests wherever you get live rock (LFS included) with aiptasia being the most common problem. You don't get pests if you buy dry rock from BRS or Marco Rocks but will need to seed it with live rock that may have pests.

+1 on your local forums. Or you can buy a complete setup from someone who is getting out of the hobby. Already fully established, then you don't have to worry about the cycling, testing, cycling, testing and so on. This way you can get your feet wet with less casualities.

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tanks are nice but it seems to me they crash more just because their is so little water, a mistake with additives or stuff like that are more sudden and dangerous! In a bigger tank a little problem is a little problem a little problem in a small tank can be a big one very soon. I would go with a 40 breeder and if you aren't setting up till summer you can hunt for the best prices on equipment! I'm not sure if it's still going but petco had a 1$ per gallon deal!

Jack

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been hedging on whether I should get a tank or not. Reading some threads about how one crashed etc....I guess I need to talk to someone with a local setup and ask questions.

John, I would check our local club first for rock, and then I can ask around for people who don't check the forums so much. Brian D usually has a bunch at his house, and I have some laying around even here, but its dry. I would trust Greentree Pets for rock, as I bought some there, as well as Premium Aquatics. BRS also has great rock, but its dry. You can do it on the cheap, get BRS dry rock, and then a few pieces from somebody local to "seed" the dry rock.

Like others said, just take your time in planning and setup. Anytime you rush something in this hobby is when things seem to start breaking :)

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

don't get discouraged because of someone else's mishaps. Just do what you are doing. ask tons of questions on forums. My only issue with small tanks is they are quite a bit of work. As long as you are willing to stay on top of things you can easily have a successful tank. And I can understand you not wanting to spend a lot of money on a set up to get things going because you may not like the hobby. I stated with a 150 dollar set up it was a 50 cube from a friend aggressive i converted it to reef and now i have upgraded twice once to 72 gallon bow front i found on craigslist for 300 bucks full of live rock lights and everything and then my current 100g starfire. so just take it slow and ask tons of questions. I wasn't to familiar with the forums and it really cost me some money on buying stupid stuff.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John, I would seriously ask on LMAS site. I can check with Brian as well to see if he can get some in cheap. How much are you looking for?

Greentree has some live rock, and you get a 10% discount for being a LMAS member. I'd offer you some of my dry rock I have, but I'm trying to get a new tank this year, so I'll need it for that.

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned 2 of the 8g BC, one at home and one at school. I have "modified" both of them by turning the back center chamber into a fuge by scrapping off the paint and adding a light to grow chaeto with! Also upgraded my pumps to a higher volume pump and had great success with them! I loved both BCs and had great success with corals from both! I would recommend them over a regular tank any day!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
biocube. I personally like the way it looks. This is just my opnion and its really a personal choice.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bio cube for sure, those little ten gal tanks never looked all that good to me. plus i think you have a few more options avaiable with the cube

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back