1122 Gallon Tank Office Build of 2024

JMBL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I hope to share here my experiences for furthering the hobby, the people of this forum who might enjoy the project journey, and in remembrance of this project for myself in future years. I'd like to state anyone, particularly of Reef2Reef is very much welcome to visit in-person in the future and to shoot me a message. Furthermore, to state that I am not a technically (or otherwise) smart person and take no credit for this build that I'm contracting out.

I'm living and working in Markham, ON. Started with a small 18 gallon saltwater tank November 2023
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1...progression-thinking-1120gallon-next.1049454/ I've now come to appreciate such a beautiful form of life. I've been very fortunate to have corals in my home these past months. I hope to share this artform with the public as so far its been only in my house. Perhaps others can discover the wonder of coral as I have. I have help of course: For fun and documentation of this project, I've attached my first email exchanges with local expert and friend Kane who has been very patient with a newbie such as myself. I recall asking for help elsewhere prior to meeting Kane. Most fish & aquarium stores simply don't offer up much time nor display interest in helping a newbie setup. My first phonecall with him was 30 minutes long in discussion of the basics of corals. He tells me at night he thinks and dreams of corals; visiting Raja Ampat etc. He tells me he hopes to scuba dive into this project and feed from his hand a banana. I'm not yet sure if he's serious but he is getting a scuba diving license this year.

I have a new professional office / lounge I'm going to completely buildup. Its a ground floor front corner unit 3000 sq ft , extending from the buildings midline (its lobby) all the way to the side of the building. Three of four sides are floor to ceiling in glass. Photograph attached. None of that flooring/furniture/interior walls etc is going to remain.

Kane and I have thought about the design of this; at first we discussed 6 feet length tank but every week the size just got bigger. We've settled on a 10 length x 5 depth x 3 height feet 1122 gallon tank all in starphire 19mm glass and a 8ft sump beneath it. A mixing station will be connected nearby. We also thought about putting a tank in the wall or a peninsula style; but we've settled upon putting it in the centre of the office with seating around it - so literally a centrepiece. The design we are thinking of is to have central inflow and outflow so that the tank can be viewed from all four sides. I'm not yet settled on the type of corals or fish but am open to ideas on advice for anything.
We were going to do a 6ft depth but went down to 5ft due to anticipated issues getting it into the office building (I have a double door and even a loading garage but it bottlenecks to a single door which is only 82inches high).

Mon, Oct 23, 2023, 5:00 PM

Hi there Kane

Im new to saltwater tanks; been doing freshwater tanks for couple years

was wondering if you've got starter kits of sorts ie all the chemicals, salt, lights, heater, coral, to start up a trial run for a ~10-20 gallon tank?
I am in Markham

***JMBL

Hello ***JMBL

I have everything for start up and advise.

Can even provide you live rock and live water for instant setup. You don’t have to go through the ugly stages of cycling.

Where are you located? Can also help setting up.
Thank you

Kane Aquarium

i am at a detached home at ***MARKHAM

***123123123 is my cell

apologies as i am starting with no knowledge of saltwater care
cleardot.gif

AGPWSu-z7KC6WWT1lwBdJnNRQnhOuoKqo509nCGhpK6GshoChNPz1mfEGBSxp3JcqIjHBbUY9g=s40-p

Kane Aquarium

Oct 23, 2023, 5:16 PM
to me

Ok I can help you.

For your tank, I can provide the labour setup everything for the tank for you for $70.

For equipment you will need:

1. Live rocks around 15lbs @ $5 per lb. You choose the size, shapes and quantity.
  2. Sand 1 bag, you need to buy at the store
  3. Saltwater, I can provide you with matured water for $30
  4. Led I have brand new Fluvalsea smart controller from your phone $100.
  5. Skimmer fluvalsea $60.
For corals; I have for sale also where you can come and check which ones you like. I do not have fish for sale. Corals you can put in right away if you use my rocks and water.

Please feel free to go shop for market price elsewhere. But I guarantee my lowest cost. If you find cheaper I can match price.

PXL_20240422_174912508.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back