12 gallon Nano Cube high phosphates

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very high phosphates in my 12-gallon nano Cube. I set up the tank for my two biota blue Mandarin dragonets. I got them back in April 2020 and now it is the middle of August. They are very small and they have doubled in size since I got them. I have nine trochus snails in the aquarium, so little to no algae. I also have one small pom pom crab in the aquarium. There are few strawberry anemones or ball anemones as well as a few aiptasia. I have 4 ricordia in the tank and they are not doing good, 1 of the ricordia I had from another system for 5 plus tears that has shrunk 90% in this tank. I have only done 2 water changes in the tank sine I set up in April. I feed the mandarin live baby brine shrimp and TDO- B2 Chroma boost.

My light is a par 38 bulb.

flow is a maxi jet 1200 for the return pump. I turn it off when feeding. it stays of for the brine shrimp for several hours. When feeding the B2 I turn it off and on periodically to get the B2 moving around the tank

Nitrate 25ppm

Phosphate 2.25ppm

The phosphate is really high my vile of water from the Hanna checker was bright blue.

So, I want the ricordia to survive and thrive and add some other corals to the system. What kind of maintenance should I do on the aquarium? Will water changes do it? How much water should I change? How often? What corals or other inhabitants would be good in the system?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Things.

1. A big water change will do it but in a tank that small it would be a good idea to do a water change once a week and get some filter media in there.

2. Are these mandarins eating frozen food or pellets?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back