120 Gallon Aquarium Recommendation.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short. I have 6 months into a 93 gallon cube build from H-E-Double-Toothpick and finally gotten my warranty(s) sorted out and need to start something a lot more reliable. I have room for a 120 gallon 48x24x24 and wondered what would be my best decision. I don't have 1K for a custom build. My LFS is suggetsing an Aqueon Reef tank: ($649.99)

https://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/aquariums/reef-ready-aquariums

He says he has had good luck with them and no issues. I also called Glass Cages and true to their poor reviews they were not very helpful at all. They could build a custom glass euro-braced with center overflow for $587.00 I like that they use schedule 80 bulk heads and a glass overflow with acryllic weir insert. 2-3 weeks for them to build.

Reef Savy is 6 months behind and custom aquariums is like $1000.00.

Any recommendations?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the SCA if you can, I hear they are great as well. I would not think the Aqueon one is bad. My tank is an Aqueon one from the '80s and the only major fix I ever did was reseal it when it came to me. The previous owner had never resealed it but a lot of silicone was missing and I didn't want to risk a tank exploding in my bedroom above the kitchen lol

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may end up with the Aqueon. The SCA is 900 bucks. My wife would kill me. It is sexy and CJ from CJs aquarium has one but I am deep into this cube build and lost my rear end on it. Sucks but that's the way it goes. If anyone else has any advice or experience please let me know.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up getting the Aqueon? I am wondering what you think of the quality of it once you get it. I am planning a 4x2x2 as my next tank and looking at different options right now as well.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up getting the Aqueon? I am wondering what you think of the quality of it once you get it. I am planning a 4x2x2 as my next tank and looking at different options right now as well.
No I ended up getting a glass cages 90 cube. I am too far down the road with this build to stop and retool everything. I got a pretty good price and it looks like eventually I will get my money back from marineland.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the quality of the glass cages aquariums? I was looking at those 3. SCA(wife prob kill me), marineland/aqueon, glasscages.

Did the glasscages one come drilled or did you drill it? They charge extra for that right?

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the quality of the glass cages aquariums? I was looking at those 3. SCA(wife prob kill me), marineland/aqueon, glasscages.

Did the glasscages one come drilled or did you drill it? They charge extra for that right?

I did a lot of research and here is what I found. 1st both SCA and Glass Cages are incredibly difficult to deal with for separate reasons. SCA ha a guy that was nice enough but very difficult to understand and did not understand my questions. I found SCA also to be incredibly expensive. They also did not even realize what they had on their website. I kept telling the guy that they showed a 90 cube aquarium on thier website and I kept asking for what that aquarium dimensions was. He kept telling me that they did not offer it as a standard product and that it was a custom build that would cost $1000.00. GC on the other had was very affordable and fast. They quoted 3 weeks and a very good price. however their customer service skills are very VERY poor. That has been documented all over the internet so I won't get into that. That being said I could not locate anything that indicated that they did not build good aquariums. I researched their build methods and found glass thickness, use of euro bracing and inner overflow to be exactly what I wanted and what other top aquarium manufactures are using.

I would not recommend Marineland to anyone. Especially the 93 gallon cube or any rimless aquarium. Marineland uses too thin of glass on the sides and their build quality is very inconsistent. For 90 gallons of water they use 12mm bottom panel and 10mm side panels. I personally feel that 10mm side panels is too thin for a rimless tank this size. No one else uses 10mm so that ought to tell you something. Marineland has a lifetime warranty but you better understand the fine print and be prepared to wait. They have 1300 dollars of my money tied up currently between two tanks. I do not recommend Marineland.

Aqueon has a very good reputation at the LFS stores I called. They also have a very good internet reputation that I can see. I could not locate anything bad about them that was more than a rant. Their overflows I like better than Marinland as well but that is more personal choice I think. I would have bought the Aqueon if I ended up going the 120.

Both Aqueon and Marineland are huge companies or at least owned by billion dollar companies. The others like Reef Savy and Custom Aquariums are not and you can tell they focus on their products and reputation. I called BRS and begged them to start building aquariums because they know customer service and that's what this industry needs. A glass aquarium mfg that understands customer service and can sell at an affordable price.

At the end of the day do ALL your homework up front then start calling these guys. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for typing all of that out! Very helpful for me. I think the glasscages or aqueon will be the right choice for me.

Now to decide if I want to drill it myself or get the ones pre-drilled. Not sure if I want one or two over flows yet.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for typing all of that out! Very helpful for me. I think the glasscages or aqueon will be the right choice for me.

Now to decide if I want to drill it myself or get the ones pre-drilled. Not sure if I want one or two over flows yet.
I would just have them do it. It's not that expensive. Also I would get 3 drilled holes in your overflows and run a Herbie. GC does not recommend it because they use schedule 80 massive bulks heads (1-1/2") but I like the idea of a safety return if something goes bad. Worst case is you run the return line over the back. That's the way I have mine done now. It's a little ugly but hard to notice when it comes over the corner overflow by Marineland. A lot of people like the Bean animal but I think it is excessive. I would go Herbie and NOT durso. They are loud and a pain. I like the idea of a gates valve to create the full siphon. Works great. And it is very easy to set up.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Aqueon can be found for less. Reef ready is around $300 and non-RR even less. That price is a ripoff.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Aqueon can be found for less. Reef ready is around $300 and non-RR even less. That price is a ripoff.

It all depends on where you live and the LFS you have in your area. I have EXTENSIVE research and phone calls all over the area I live in the deep south. Now someone else living in a big city and more customers will probably be able to buy it cheaper. Remember shipping is where you get killed for 180-200 dollars. So I'm not so lucky and don't have access to good deals.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off! Where should I be looking to find the tank for those prices? I might be able to get this moving sooner then I thought!

Second - For the pipes for a 120 gallon. Is Schedule 80 pipes way overkill? I haven't seen a pic of how the Aqueon is drilled but I assume it has 2 schedule 40 holes behind each overflow? Is there going to be a way to make the Aqueon quiet or is it best to get an undrilled one so you can drill it the way you want?

Sorry very new to this. I only have a biocube right now. So I have no experience when it comes to the plumbing part and sumps. I do know I have some locals that can help with drilling if I need to do it that way though. But predrilled sounds nice.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off! Where should I be looking to find the tank for those prices? I might be able to get this moving sooner then I thought!

Second - For the pipes for a 120 gallon. Is Schedule 80 pipes way overkill? I haven't seen a pic of how the Aqueon is drilled but I assume it has 2 schedule 40 holes behind each overflow? Is there going to be a way to make the Aqueon quiet or is it best to get an undrilled one so you can drill it the way you want?

Sorry very new to this. I only have a biocube right now. So I have no experience when it comes to the plumbing part and sumps. I do know I have some locals that can help with drilling if I need to do it that way though. But predrilled sounds nice.

First: I can't help you with that one have to look locally.

Second: Schedule 80 is cool looking and matches the better gates valve and ball valves so that's why I went with it. If you don't care to use white pipe and fittings with gray valves it will work absolutely just fine. Schedule 40 pipe fits in all schedule 80 fittings so no worries. Don't use crappy schedule 40 ball valves.

Drilling is very easy but it's not worth the trouble most times. BRS sells the drill bit and there are about 1 million videos on how to do it. The short of it is take your time, no pressure on the drill bit and let the drill bit do the work and keep constant water on it to keep everything cool.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back