120 Gallon Sump Plumbing

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i'm about to start my plumbing journey for my 120 gallon tank. It has dual overflows and they are in the center not corner. I will be running a Durso setup (yes i know people will say go Herbie or Bean Animal) but this tank is going downstairs in the mancave and noise isn't at the top of my list of cares. The tank i got came with the durso pipes already and will just make setup a lot easier. My drain libes will be 1 inch but heres my question. I will be running a Sicce 5.0 for a return pump that can do 3/4 or 1 inch for the return. Should i go 1 inch all the way to the bulkhead at the tank and right before it reduce down to 3/4 out to the tank? Or go straight 3/4 from the pump all the way to bulkhead and out to the tank? Will be doing silicone tubing from return pump to a cepex ball valve and then PVC split to both returns.

3/4 inch all the way from return pump to tank? Or 1 inch all the way to tank reducing down to 3/4 inch into the 3/4 inch bulkhead?

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 1" all the way to the bulkhead will assist in reducing friction and head pressure. You will see a decrease in performance due to the fact it is reducing to 3/4." Either configuration will work, but if you are trying to squeeze performance, go with the 1".

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think that's what I'll do. Jesus I put the trigger systems sump under to start figuring out a plan. There isn't much room from the bottom of the tank to the top of the sump, this may get tricky.

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly. I encountered the same issue when plumbing my 120. You might get some ideas from my build thread. Let me know if you run into any headaches I might be able to assist.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/dbrewskys-120-gallon-build.229666/

Well have already ran into a slight problem. My stand is 28" high. I have a 36" Trigger Systems Sump and there is not much room from the bottom of the tank to the top of the sump. I wanted to plumb with PVC piping. Now i have to contemplate making a Stand from scratch. I would like to avoid this but would also like so space to work with down below. What is the height of your stand?

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult would it be to run spa flex or flexible tubing? I see no problem in running either if the situation demands it. How much clearance do you have between the top on the sump and the bulkheads?

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult would it be to run spa flex or flexible tubing? I see no problem in running either if the situation demands it. How much clearance do you have between the top on the sump and the bulkheads?

Just 10 inches.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back