120 gallon tank questions

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, I'm switching apartments and think it would be a great time to swap out tanks. My 90g mixed reef is great, but I got it used and has some significant scratches on the front glass. So I starting looking around.

I've been offered a 120g tank from a local club member for free. We're friends and it was given to him before etc. Caveat is that the dimensions are off. 48 X 18 x 30.

It comes with a 6 bulb T5 fixture. I have access to 2 X 24 mh/T5 combo. Thoughts on moving forward and accepting the tank? Lighting problems? Aquascape thoughts?

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm free sounds like a killer deal to me also I think either of those light options sounds good.

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tank come with a stand as well? Also, would the floor of your new apartment support the weight of the tank filled?

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 on the 2nd floor of an apt and it hold just fine. But you want to put it up against an outside wall that has support beams under it. So I would stay away from a wall that has a room behind it for example. You should also ask your apt complex office if you have wood support beams or if is a cement slab.

luxauterna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea if you are on the first floor with concrete floors you are definitely golden!

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Not on the first floor. 5th.

It does come with a stand. I'm still debating taking it because of the dimensions.

luxauterna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have concrete floors on the 5th floor?! nice building! Are you worried about the flow with the depth? Or lighting issues?

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's newer construction and all of the buildings are being built that way here. I just found archived photos to confirm. Well I think they confirm.

I'm worried about being able to reach stuff, lighting in a mixed reef tank, and aquascaping. I think I'll have to increase the height of my rock work.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back