1200 us gallon tank

zigmakuratbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im maintaining a 1200 us gallon reef tank, my question, is it okay to dose potassium and kalk +2 at the same time while im running zeovit product in my system?

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im maintaining a 1200 us gallon reef tank, my question, is it okay to dose potassium and kalk +2 at the same time while im running zeovit product in my system?
What do u mean +2 at the same time?
You mean mixed together ?
I add pottasium and kalkwasser but at seperate times

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not a good idea, give min 12hrs before adding new supplements, don't matter which but don't unless your a chemist and specialize in marine life.
Give at least 12hrs before mixing supplements together, minimum
Even that will make a drastic change to your parameters

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd address the questions for new readers of it. :)

It is OK to mix most potassium supplements (such as potassium chloride) into limewater (kalkwasser) if you want. It is also Ok to dose them simultaneously if you want. neither of these should have an undesirable reaction with most other products as I understand them, recognizing the many zeovit products do not disclose the ingredients so I cannot know with certainty.

As to kalk+2, that is not a useful product from the standpoint of the magnesium.

Here's a copy and paste about it from an earlier thread:

Unfortunately, kalk+2 is a very poorly designed product that won't work as described. It has very little magnesium in it (no more than is in ordinary lime: the manufacturer appears to be just labeling an impurity as a plus), but even that will precipitate out in limewater as magnesium hydroxide. In general, one cannot add magnesium into limewater without producing a precipitate and reducing the alkalinity of it.

So overall, there is not enough magnesium to be useful even if it worked, and it won't work. It is a marketing gimmick.

I show in the article linked below that bulk supplied calcium oxide and hydroxide have a similar amount of magnesium or more already in it.

Aquarium Chemistry: Magnesium And Strontium In Limewater ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Brightwell may be adding strontium to the kalk+2. However (IMO), it appears that despite claims in the past, strontium is just not a useful supplement for most reefs. Most people who dosed it and stopped see no difference, and there is no demonstrated need for strontium in most inverts. If, however, you want strontium for some reason, it may be a fine source.

Last edited:
Back