125 gal 6 foot long tank. Drill?

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon 6 foot tank I purchased used that is housing african cichlids at the moment. I have a eshoppes HOB overflow that goes to a small sump on the tank (20 gal). I've learned a lot since I built that setup years ago, and I'm curious if anyone has run into a tank this size that didn't have a tempered bottom. I assume I'll have to drill the back on this so I can properly plumb it. How do people normally build their overflow boxes when they drill the back? Is it best to just buy an overflow?

850csmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most I’ve seen have had tempered bottom glass. but I prefer drilling the back glass anyway to install some kind of low profile overflow box like a ghost overflow instead of the giant column or tower overflow that takes up the whole back of the tank

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most I’ve seen have had tempered bottom glass. but I prefer drilling the back glass anyway to install some kind of low profile overflow box like a ghost overflow instead of the giant column or tower overflow that takes up the whole back of the tank
I'll probably pursue that route. I drilled the back of the 90 I just built, but only because it was this weird AIO tank and I had to. Low profile seems like the best way forward.

850csmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally done both and with the low profile box on the back of the tank it seams like you have a lot more room to aqua scape

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 120 42.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back