125 gallon fish rank

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a 125 gallon fish tank for free. Not sure what I am going to put into it yet or where to put it. One of the fish I really want to get is a powder blue tang. But I am not sure if I am able to. I’m going to replace all the plumbing and reseal the tank. I was thinking just getting flexible tubes for the plumbing for the time being since I might either make or buy a new stand in the future. I plan to make this a mixed reef tank with a big hammer and torch garden and the rest would just be what I would like to keep.

IMG_9421.jpeg IMG_9423.jpeg IMG_9426.jpeg IMG_9427.jpeg IMG_9428.jpeg IMG_9425.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You can do a lot with that tank. It will look beautiful once you complete the reconditioning.

I like your idea of flexible tubing for drain and return lines. I'd like to do the same thing on a future build.

I think that by using soft tubing, your path from overflow to sump and your return from sump to tank will be one of gradual directional changes instead of the sudden ones that come with elbows, 45's and T's.

Those sudden directional changes of flow create turbulence in the plumbing. Your plan will eliminate the turbulence and make for a much quieter tank.

Keep us posted!
Dom

OP
OP
DD Corals

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just did a little water test just in case and I probably put in like 20-30 gallons of water and it started to leak on the outside of the tank. Right in between the glass and the brace of the tank. I think I saw a bubble coming from the corner of the tank but I am not 100% sure. I think I am going to drain the water out completly again and try to reseal it using silicone. I am just going to add a lot to the places where I thought it was leaking.

OP
OP
DD Corals

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very slow leak. Probably like a drop or two every minute

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just did a little water test just in case and I probably put in like 20-30 gallons of water and it started to leak on the outside of the tank. Right in between the glass and the brace of the tank. I think I saw a bubble coming from the corner of the tank but I am not 100% sure. I think I am going to drain the water out completly again and try to reseal it using silicone. I am just going to add a lot to the places where I thought it was leaking.

It is so important to get all of the old silicon off before putting on the fresh bead. Don't install new silicon over old.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don’t put it over the old. When I resealed my tank I got every last bit off and cleaned it with alcohol then resealed. The tank has been up and running almost 4 years without issue.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back