125 Gallon Mixed Reef Tank Renovation

jtcplumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone
I have had a 125 gallon setup running since June 2015. It has been overall ok but had some issues like cyno red slime breakout, Green bubble tip algae here and there but controllable. I have mostly LPS and softies but also stated some SPS which I have lost about 6 of them maybe due to cyno and or flow issues. They rotted from base up not at tips. I had a LFS maintained scheduled every two weeks doing a 20 percent water change and cleaning tank. I am currently in process of changing to another LFS because I am not happy with the way they were doing it. I seem to have to always suggest new ideas and procedures to them and I have asked questions which I didn't get any solid answers. My tank is 72" long x 18" wide and 21" tall . Water parameters always consistent Alk 8.4 Calc 390 recently dosing little per day more to raise Mag 1440 Temp 78.0 Salt 1.026 PH 8.3. Phos Ammonia nitrite and nitrate all zero I run a 55 gallon refugium with a few different macro algae and a eshopp rs 300 sump in basement. I had a friend do a DIY led light system which my corals seem to be doing good under. Protein skimmer Hydor 505 in sump. I have two Vortech MP40 and just added on back wall two tunzee nano 6055 for supplement flow for sps. Tank has over flow on each corner.And running an APEX Gold system with all equipment connected to it. My lighting runs opposite times to keep PH stable. So that all being said here are my issues and questions.
My DIY lights have had a few issues with Startup which we solved now new issue is when I lose power I have a natural gas stand by generator but with the 2 minute delay it has before it send power to house my apex is turning my lights on full strength even when they are supposed to be completely off. My options are put battery back up on apex so it doesn't lose power, Do all drives over or buy echotech radions. Apex has very little support for DIY lights connected to their system. If I decide to buy lights which model and how many do I need ? What is difference between reg and pro ? My protein skimmer was designed for water volume before I added 55 gallon refugium do I Need a bigger one and what make and model is the best skimmer. I have about 12 small reef safe fish and 30 Mixed corals.. Think that is it for now Thanks All !!!! Hope you and your tanks make it through the storm ok !!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 102 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back