125 Gallon Reef Aquarium! *UPGRADING*

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I recently moved into a new house and my spouse insisted I upgrade to a bigger tank as this was the time to do it! I was initially going to go with a 75 gallon, but we have a wall in the living room that is 6' and she told me to just go with the 6' 125 gallon tank so we don't have to upgrade later down the road. I currently have a 20g long (a MASSIVE upgrade ... I know!) and I just wanted a little help. I would like to know what advice you have for a system that large. Also, what equipment would you recommend?

I will be going more coral heavy and say a light to medium/light stocking of fish. Also, I would love to know what fish stocking ideas you all have!!!

The Dimensions:
72" L
18" W
21" T

Equipment I have in mind to use:
Triton 34 v2 Sump - Trigger Systems
Syncra SDC 6.0
Bubble Magnus 7 Elite.

ALL ADVICE WELCOME AND APPRECIATED!!!

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shop around for what you like and what’s important to you for your budget,a regret I had was not researching manufacturers customer service

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a ton you can do with a standard 6' 125, most of the fish you can keep in that are not going to be inhibited by the 18" width.

The exceptions being the largest of tangs, like sailfins, unicorn, and clown tangs. Also any shark species.

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am smart and just realized that.... my 90 g tank and a 125 g tank have the same width. I need to sleep more

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125g tanks are a great value imo. You can get the aqueon setups from petsmart on sale for like $400. These tanks are bullet proof ime. Just ditch the particle board stand it comes with and build one. Sure a 180g is more ideal, but if budget is a concern a 125g is 6ft long which makes a huge difference over a 4 ft tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 70.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back