125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I was looking at Only Fins online for their Betta stuff a few weeks back. I forget who shared it, maybe Sunset Reefing...
I've only been there twice. Artistic Aquariums split off their retail from their maintenance and relocated the retail about a mile south of the old store. Both the old and new store were high-side on their dry goods but they had a good selection and their fish were average to slightly-below average prices and healthy. The new store was still pretty new both times I went there so it may be different today.

Before the split Aquarium Arts was my go-to for fish but I never bought a coral from them. The frag racks had a fair amount of Aiptasia. Their colony tanks looked pretty good though. The new store had people that didn't seem that reef-wise. They did have a nice selection of snails though. I bought a bunch of Ceriths.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're my favorite shop at the moment. They don't have livestock shipped in. About half the coral are frags or small colonies from their own tanks and they make a trip or two a month to California for fish and other coral. Everything I have bought there has been healthy. Their tanks are clean but I did get a small Aiptasia on a Trumpet once. The store is kind of on the small side and only open Thursday through Sunday (husband and wife, and occasionally dog team).

With their hours, going there can be a bit of a hassle but I make the trip about once a month to see what they have. Unless you're in the general area (e.g. - Mesa/Tempe LFSs) I'd call first to see how they were stocked on fish. When they come back from CA the fish tanks are bursting with healthy fish. By the time they're ready to go back to CA for more, there isn't much fish selection. They don't carry much in the way of designer acros or shrooms or zoas. Their dry goods are priced a little on the high side, their brought-in corals are average to slightly below average pricing and their personal stock goes from average to very well priced.

BTW Just Fins is really called Only Fins. My wife thought that Just Fins sounded better and its stuck in my head.

The only time I've gone to a Petco is to pick up some dog food, either South Chandler or one in Mesa. I know the one in South Chandler has a fish section but I always blew it off. From what I see in the photos of your tank, I'll have to start checking out the Petcos when I see them.

I went to Aquarium Arts a few weeks ago because I was thinking about picking up a Tunze 6040 or 6055. They are no longer a Tunze or Geismann dealer. Bummer. Red Sea everywhere. But the tanks looked clean and the fish looked healthy, quite a change from 20 odd years ago.
only fins is the half brother of only fans
dont mistype it in your search engine

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your SHU? I've been looking for an acclimation box.
The SHU is great! Super strong magnet. I can put about 5 or so medium-sized (porous) rocks in the SHU along with the fish to make it a bit cozier.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How do you like your SHU? I've been looking for an acclimation box.
I've only used it once. I'm considering using it as a Betta tank in my large freshwater once I set it up. I've got 3 or 4 females and am planning on a couple of males as well.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody wins its gonna be you…
IMG_6225.png

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Truth.

This was a preset after an upgrade that I forgot to change. My usual is gyroid.
Don't they make a cream for gy roids... :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back