14 days in Copper and still white specs?

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a shipment of fish 3 weeks ago. Observed and fed for 1 week, looked like one of my wrasse may have had lymphocytes as he had a nodule on his fin. Then I I saw some salt specs pop up so I assumed ick and started a copper bath. We are 14 days into copper between 1.77-1.98ppm check with Hannah daily.

Both of my skunk clowns have white specs on their fins. Below are two pics of the same fish (the one with more spots). All of my other fish are completely spot/spec free. They have all also had two rounds of prazi as well.

So could these white specs STILL be ick after 14 days? Would it be safe to transfer to a sterile tank (was planning on following the 14 days in copper then two weeks observation quarantine as I have wrasse in this group. Should I transfer everyone except clowns?
IMG_6844.jpeg

IMG_6845.jpeg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those white specks look like lympho rather than crypto.

Copper needs to be at least 2.25-2.50 ppm.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a shipment of fish 3 weeks ago. Observed and fed for 1 week, looked like one of my wrasse may have had lymphocytes as he had a nodule on his fin. Then I I saw some salt specs pop up so I assumed ick and started a copper bath. We are 14 days into copper between 1.77-1.98ppm check with Hannah daily.

Both of my skunk clowns have white specs on their fins. Below are two pics of the same fish (the one with more spots). All of my other fish are completely spot/spec free. They have all also had two rounds of prazi as well.

So could these white specs STILL be ick after 14 days? Would it be safe to transfer to a sterile tank (was planning on following the 14 days in copper then two weeks observation quarantine as I have wrasse in this group. Should I transfer everyone except clowns?
IMG_6844.jpeg

IMG_6845.jpeg
I can’t rule out ich in those photos. Amine based copper products like you are using (coppersafe or copper power) are safe, but work slowly and need to be dosed above 2 ppm, the target dose is 2.25 ppm for 30 days. Don’t move fish out of the tank while ich is still suspected, even if they aren’t showing spots.

The way to tell ich from lymphocystis - ich spots are smaller, and change location and numbers over three days or so. Lymphocystis spots grow larger, often are gray, and look “rough” like cauliflower. Lymphocystis will stay in the same spot for weeks/months. Clownfish to get lymphocystis, but not as commonly as do many other fish.

Jay

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I read that for copper safe 1.5ppm is the therapeutic minimum and that keeping between 1.75 and 2 would still be effective but less stress on the fish. Thoughts?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I read that for copper safe 1.5ppm is the therapeutic minimum and that keeping between 1.75 and 2 would still be effective but less stress on the fish. Thoughts?
I think 1.5 is an older standard.

IIRC, you need to target 2.0 with chelated copper. That’s the absolute minimum therapeutic level. Most people will aim for 2.25 - 2.50 to avoid the risk of dropping below 2.0 and having to reset the clock and start treatment from day one.

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 1.5 is an older standard.

IIRC, you need to target 2.0 with chelated copper. That’s the absolute minimum therapeutic level. Most people will aim for 2.25 - 2.50 to avoid the risk of dropping below 2.0 and having to reset the clock and start treatment from day one.
Ah ok thank you, I will raise to 2.25. I’ve seen the humble fish 14 days in copper and then 2 weeks in a sterile tank. Think I could do 2 weeks at 2.25 since we are two weeks in at 1.9ish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No - as dosed using their instructions, it works out to around 2.25 ppm. I used 2.5 ppm for many years with no issues. Below 2 ppm and there is a risk that the protozoan will not be stopped in time, or even stopped at all.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back