14g biocube reef filter question

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a 14 coralife and its going to be mainly coral. How should I set up the filter in the back? I got the protein skimmer with it also. I just want to be sure its setup great for corals and not failure. I have a 3 gallon im swapping them from after the new tank cycles. But just want to setup for success, not failure. Thanks guys

OP
OP
cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man, anyone else got any other ideas to bring to the table for consideration? Just want to know what all I can do

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here how I did it on 29g biocube open top and I don't use skimmer
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

OP
OP
cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here how I did it on 29g biocube open top and I don't use skimmer
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG
I know they work well but I think they will be too big, I cant find any less than an inch and a half. So not many will fit.

OP
OP
cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spheres

Merck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE TANK, THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME , MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU WITH TIME & MONEY.
1 ESHOPPS SPONGES FILTERS IN FIRST SLOT SORRY I FORGOT THE SIZE BUT IT WILL FILL THE WHOLE HOLE, ABOUT $10 TO$14. WASH WITH HOT WATER ,RINSE OUT WITH RODI WATER. LAST ABOUT A YEAR.
2 SECOND SLOT MEDIA SEACHEM SEAGEL 250ml $7 BAG$3 (CHANGE 3 MONTHS) LAST A YEAR.
3 THIRD SLOT HEATER $40 & I USED A COBALT POWERHEAD MJ1200 $40 I DIDN'T USE THE PUMP IT COMES WITH.
SO FOR AROUND A $100 .I DON'T THINK IT IS TO BAD. I DIDN'T HAVE BUT 2 FISH DIDN'T SEE (TEST WISE) A POINT FOR A PROTEIN SKIMMER. BUT I DID
TRY IT ONCE AND USED A SECOND SPONGE IN THIRD SLOT TO STOP THE AIR BUBBLES NOT A MUST HAVE.

OP
OP
cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a pretty easy going setup, thanks for taking the time to fill me in on all that. Just trying to consider all options available for success

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE TANK, THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME , MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU WITH TIME & MONEY.
1 ESHOPPS SPONGES FILTERS IN FIRST SLOT SORRY I FORGOT THE SIZE BUT IT WILL FILL THE WHOLE HOLE, ABOUT $10 TO$14. WASH WITH HOT WATER ,RINSE OUT WITH RODI WATER. LAST ABOUT A YEAR.
2 SECOND SLOT MEDIA SEACHEM SEAGEL 250ml $7 BAG$3 (CHANGE 3 MONTHS) LAST A YEAR.
3 THIRD SLOT HEATER $40 & I USED A COBALT POWERHEAD MJ1200 $40 I DIDN'T USE THE PUMP IT COMES WITH.
SO FOR AROUND A $100 .I DON'T THINK IT IS TO BAD. I DIDN'T HAVE BUT 2 FISH DIDN'T SEE (TEST WISE) A POINT FOR A PROTEIN SKIMMER. BUT I DID
TRY IT ONCE AND USED A SECOND SPONGE IN THIRD SLOT TO STOP THE AIR BUBBLES NOT A MUST HAVE.
I'd be worried about a heater in the return chamber, that's were the water level drops.

I have an old oceanic biocube 14, so not sure what all they changed.

I use a mj900 for return. I cut down the divider between the intake chamber and middle chamber. This let the water Cascade, instead of forcing the extra flow through the cut out.

I just have rubble in the second chamber, I covered the hole in the wall between chamber two and three to allow it to be filled up higher and still force water to be pulled under the divider into the return chamber. I don't run a sponge anywhere. The rubble could be considered a nitrate problem but I run mine as a softy tank and they like some nitrate. I don't run any media or a skimmer.

Chamber one is heater, I punched out the false bottom to allow a longer heater to fit. Debris also tends to settle here so I will siphon out this chamber occasionally during water change.

Merck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be worried about a heater in the return chamber, that's were the water level drops.

I have an old oceanic biocube 14, so not sure what all they changed.

I use a mj900 for return. I cut down the divider between the intake chamber and middle chamber. This let the water Cascade, instead of forcing the extra flow through the cut out.

I just have rubble in the second chamber, I covered the hole in the wall between chamber two and three to allow it to be filled up higher and still force water to be pulled under the divider into the return chamber. I don't run a sponge anywhere. The rubble could be considered a nitrate problem but I run mine as a softy tank and they like some nitrate. I don't run any media or a skimmer.

Chamber one is heater, I punched out the false bottom to allow a longer heater to fit. Debris also tends to settle here so I will siphon out this chamber occasionally during water change.
I DON'T USE GLASS HEATERS AND THE WATER NEVER GOT THAT LOW WITH THE SPONGES . THE SPONGES SLOW IT WAY DOWN SO THE WATER WILL STAY UP. PLUS I DIDN'T CUT UP MY TANK.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DON'T USE GLASS HEATERS AND THE WATER NEVER GOT THAT LOW WITH THE SPONGES . THE SPONGES SLOW IT WAY DOWN SO THE WATER WILL STAY UP. PLUS I DIDN'T CUT UP MY TANK.

If left long enough without top off, the return chamber will drop.

I didn't mean it as a criticism towards you, more as a warning to the OP, since this is a new tank to him. I do not know his experience level and if he would anticipate this.

A MJ1200 with the stock lights is probably enough that the heater doesn't run much, in a biocube 14 anyway.

OP
OP
cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ro water in my 3 gallon. Have it setup nice, im just new to the coralife and was seeing if there was a good way to run the filter system for corals. Ive got corals fragging themselves and was going to move them over into the biocube once its cycled.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ro water in my 3 gallon. Have it setup nice, im just new to the coralife and was seeing if there was a good way to run the filter system for corals. Ive got corals fragging themselves and was going to move them over into the biocube once its cycled.
I really like mine, after a little modification. I use a koralia nano 425 for extra water movement as well. What kind of stock lights do they have? Still compact fluorescent? I always had heat issues with them, especially during the summer in Texas. I retrofitted some leds and it's much cooler.

Might try googling "The biocube resource guide", that thread has links to a bunch of different threads with varying degrees of modifications, some helpful stuff in there.

OP
OP
cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will check it out. Appreciate it

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back