specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

So here's what I got:

125 gallon tank. 145 gallons all in total with sump. About 3 weeks ago I took out a 15 lb piece of dry rock that was loaded with nasty gunk (majanos, nuclear palys) and basically put it outside and everything obviously died.

Then gave it a nice bleach / water bath for about 4 to 5 days. Then took the rock and put it outside for about 2 weeks to soak in the sun.

I currently have it in saltwater (just started to cure it, been in saltwater mix for about 3 days now)

If I put that 1 piece into my tank, it IS going to be leaching P04 correct? I am assuming the bleach bath did not get rid of all that, thus making it safe to add to my tank now. I still have to cure this piece before adding it into my current tank correct?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to be 100% sure there are no p04 leaching out then ya continue with the cure till your tests read 0 after a 100% water change.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to be 100% sure there are no p04 leaching out then ya continue with the cure till your tests read 0 after a 100% water change.
Ok yah that is what I thought. I dont want any p04 in there .. finally got my system stable and rock solid #s .. dont feel like screwing that up...

gracias!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would just add it back to the tank. As long as you removed all organic matter with the bleach bath.
That piece of rock is going to be pretty much the same as the rest of the rock in your tank in regards to po4 ( minus whatever benefit the bleach did).

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just add it back to the tank. As long as you removed all organic matter with the bleach bath.
That piece of rock is going to be pretty much the same as the rest of the rock in your tank in regards to po4 ( minus whatever benefit the bleach did).
Do you think that all the organic matter would have been taken off with a 4 to 5 day bleach bath?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do you think that all the organic matter would have been taken off with a 4 to 5 day bleach bath?
It should have been, depending on how much bleach you used, vs. the amount of water.
Was the rock clean? Were all the palys and majanos gone?

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should have been, depending on how much bleach you used, vs. the amount of water.
Was the rock clean? Were all the palys and majanos gone?
Oh yah all that stuff was totally dried out and gone. I would say it sat outside, when I originally took it out of the tank and put it out there, for a good 7 days. Maybe a few more.

I also used about 35%, give ot take, bleach to water. I was not shy with the bleach.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh yah all that stuff was totally dried out and gone. I would say it sat outside, when I originally took it out of the tank and put it out there, for a good 7 days. Maybe a few more.

I also used about 35%, give ot take, bleach to water. I was not shy with the bleach.
You should be good to go.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the water it’s in now. No3 and Po4.
You will probably even see some ammoina.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock was cleaned of all organic matter, where would the ammonia come from?
I don’t belive bleach will Clean all the organics. It’s not a strong enough acid and I’d be hard pressed to belive it removes all the dead bacteria and such from deep In the rock. Not to mention the odd worm or two.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don’t belive bleach will Clean all the organics. It’s not a strong enough acid and I’d be hard pressed to belive it removes all the dead bacteria and such from deep In the rock. Not to mention the odd worm or two.
I believe it will do a good enough job for a 15 lb rock in 125 gallon tank that there would be no issues with it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it will do a good enough job for a 15 lb rock in 125 gallon tank that there would be no issues with it.
Yep, me too. Probably be fine.
Honestly I’d keep it the bucket a couple weeks with a powerhead just cuz. I go slow.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it even be worth testing the water for p04 today? I am due to change out the water ... figured maybe testing it just to see.
Yes. If you act concerned about it , it’s worth doing.

If it’s high and you’re concerned, you can use an lanthanum cloride Po4 remover and then do a water change.

Back