15 to 45g Migration Suggestions

MikeA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestions and/or advice welcome...

I'm busy with a 45g + sump build to supercede my current 15g AIO and am considering options for moving the 15g stock across.

15g is currently stocked with an Ocellaris Clown, a Midas Blenny, various snails and live rock with Zoa colonies attached.

Do I
1) Set up the 45g, including new uncycled rock, and take it through a complete cycle before adding the contents of the 15g.
2) Set up the 45g with the contents of the 15g and slowly add additional uncycled rock over a period of time.
3) Some cunning alternative.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not needing to have the new tank in the same place as the old one, then I dont see any reason not to set up the new one and cure/cycle the new rock with it. That way you can just transfer the livestock over after the cycle is established. Hopefully you can make sure to transfer the live rock from the old tank to the new. This way your transferring the bacteria over with it. This will help with any issues the old tank's bioload might create in the new tank. I hope that made sense I'm exhausted!

OP
OP
MikeA

MikeA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Meredith. Makes perfect sense. The 45g is going where the 15g is now. I could relocate the 15g while the 45g cycles but it does add some complications.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Meredith. Makes perfect sense. The 45g is going where the 15g is now. I could relocate the 15g while the 45g cycles but it does add some complications.

If your wanting to skip those complications then I would suggest setting up a tote or something that you can cure the rock in first. This way when transfer day comes along, you can just take all the rock, corals and fish out. Drain the water, move the tank... Set up the new one and transfer everything over (including the water). Not easy, but better than the alternative in my mind.

OP
OP
MikeA

MikeA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time will tell if this is a good idea or not. Given the 15g is on the cabinet that will be occupied by the 45g in future, I've decided to set up the sump for the 45g in the cabinet and using a hang on overflow (probably Eshopps), plumb that into the 15g. Effectively adding a sump to the 15g.

Over time I'll add cured dead rock to the sump area to seed it. Some of this rock will then be used later in the 45g display. At some later point I'll transfer the contents of the 15g into a tote, exchange the 15g with the 45g on the cabinet, bring it on line with the sump and then transfer the contents of the tote (ex 15g) into the 45g display.

jnw240reef

SPS Killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on the rock you plan on using. If it's dry then better off setting up and letting it cycle

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally did mine last weekend (40 to 75 with sump), so far it went good. This is how I did it:

1. Moved all livestock, water and LR in the tote containers
2. Rinsed sand for a good 30 mins (continues running water while I mix it with my hand until water clears). Then final rinse with new Salt water mix
3. Added sand in new tank
4. Added LR
5. Added old water and new water, then livestock

I checked my water parameters and everything is good, only change was my Nitrate from 0 to 10. All livestock looks happy so far. I only lost one fish because it jumped out from the tank, and didnt see it till morning.

image_1.jpg

image_3.jpg

jnw240reef

SPS Killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan was to use the existing live rock in the 15g to seed any small quantities of new cured dead rock I add to the sump.
You can throw in a small piece without corals to help seed. But keep livestock out until you know see if new rock is going to cause big cycle, leech phosphates, etc. If you could soak it ahead of time and test the water it would give you a better idea

OP
OP
MikeA

MikeA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally did mine last weekend (40 to 75 with sump), so far it went good. This is how I did it:

1. Moved all livestock, water and LR in the tote containers
2. Rinsed sand for a good 30 mins (continues running water while I mix it with my hand until water clears). Then final rinse with new Salt water mix
3. Added sand in new tank
4. Added LR
5. Added old water and new water, then livestock

I checked my water parameters and everything is good, only change was my Nitrate from 0 to 10. All livestock looks happy so far. I only lost one fish because it jumped out from the tank, and didnt see it till morning.

Thanks for sharing your experience sil40sx. Did you add any new rock during this?

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience sil40sx. Did you add any new rock during this?

You're welcome, I hope it goes well for you as well.

Nope. That's the only difference in our situation,. - but if I have to add dry rocks, I would add it few pounds a week.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%

Back